Resuming streaming after drive disconnection

When streaming stops due to WD Cloud disconnection, it’s impossible to resume the movie where it was interrupted. Is there a way to resume the movie where it stopped because of the network drive failure, or any other issue? I have a $40 Asus O!Play media player that resumes movies right where they stopped, whenever there is an interruption. I mean, if a $40 device can do that, can’t WD figure out a way for their software and $200 device to remember where the movie stopped? this will be a huge help since this network device is not perfect right now. Thank you.

It’s not the server’s job to do that.  It’s the client’s.

What player are you using with the Cloud?

??? What player are you using with the Cloud?

I don’t know what player Samsung Smart TV has in its system. I just click “play” on the remote and the video streams. However, with My Cloud, I cannot fastforward or rewind, I can only pause, and stop.  Frustrating because when the drive disconnectes in the middle of a stream, you need to start te movie from the beginning. I wish the software in MyCloud will remember where the movie was interrupted and resume from there. Many cheap media players have that option.

Movies from flashdrives connected directly to the TV (USB) rewind n fastforward with no issues.

Outmazirt wrote:

Many cheap media players have that option.

Yes, and apparently your TV does not.  The Cloud is NOT a media player.   It’s a SERVER.   Your TV is the media player.

As far as the disconnects go, try logging into the Twonky UI and turn off the option “Restart Server on NIC changes”

“Yes, and apparently your TV does not.  The Cloud is NOT a media player.   It’s a SERVER.   Your TV is the media player.”

My TV can ff and rewind when movies play from at an attached flash or HDD drive, so yes, my TV has that option. So I don’t understand why this ff/rw feature does not work with MycLoud.

What is the Twonky UI , wher can I find that?

Thanks.

Outmazirt wrote:

I don’t understand why this ff/rw feature does not work with MycLoud.

Streaming files via DLNA over a network is a whole different thing than playing them via USB.  If you google “samsung dlna twonky ff rew” you’ll see thousands of posts of people reporting that Samsung is broken with DLNA.  If you have a “tools” button on your remote, some people say that will work – sometimes.

To get to the dashboard, http://name or ip of your Cloud:9000

http://10.0.0.1:9000

Thanks for the tip, TOOLS on samsung remote works but only with .avi, mp4 files, not with .mkv files, so I guess these files need to be converted to avi/mp4 before streaming. This option is a huge deal for me since mycloud is not perfect as it disconnects from the network. Imagine you have guests, you brag about your new mycloud toy, stream a game or a movie on a big a** screen, and suddenly, disconnection, and restart from begining, what a torture! and what a waste of money.

Question: do you think disconnection is due to the fact that mycloud server is connected to the router through a switch? (linksys broadband router and linksys switch here).  Do you think a direct connection to mycloud server will eliminate disconnection issues? I do have other devices on the switch, they never disconnect though, and never experienced IP conflict issues or resolving host issues…

I chat-spoke with a  Samsung tech support agent, she never mentionned the possibility of ff/rw with TOOLS button, she just sauid: the TV cannot do ff/rw from a server, that’s it. What an ignorant! I gotta go back to her and wash her ears with this tip.

""To get to the dashboard, http://name or ip of your Cloud:9000

like     http://10.0.0.1:9000 “”

What does thos do? I got in there, it’s a twonkey,  and saw all the files on mycloud… how does this help with diconnection issues? I turnd off the Resart on NIC changes.

Outmazirt wrote:

What does thos do? I got in there, it’s a twonkey,  and saw all the files on mycloud… how does this help with diconnection issues? I turnd off the Resart on NIC changes.

Twonky will restart the server (and thus disconnect active streams) any time it detects a change in the network configuration.  It seems to do it for just about any reason…  I turn that option off and have never had a disconnect.

Before, it would disconnect anywhere from 5 mintues to 1 hour during streaming.

Did changing that option help you at all?

After the tweak at twonky, well everything works ok so far no disconnection, but who knows what the future will bring…

My question: is getting on that 9000 port safe?

Outmazirt wrote:
My question: is getting on that 9000 port safe?

Of course.  That’s what it’s there for.

Now, keep in mind that some Twonky settings are controlled from the EX4’s GUI, so during firmware upgrades or resets, some settings you make on Twonky’s setup may revert back to default.

I have had this problem with my Samsung TV…it doesn’t let me fast forward a streaming movie from my WD My Cloud…However, there is an icon like of a magnifying glass, if you press it then select “from time bar” (or something like that I can’t remember), you will be able to fast forward the streaming movie.

------ an icon like of a magnifying glass

where is that icon? on the screen?when does it appear? how to get to it with the the remote?

I still have issues with .mkv files, they just stream, they don’t ff or rw.

----Of course.  That’s what it’s there for.

Now, keep in mind that some Twonky settings are controlled from the EX4’s GUI, so during firmware upgrades or resets, some settings you make on Twonky’s setup may revert back to default. ------

One thing I noticed though after twonky tweak, the local IP of the MyCloud changed. Now its previous IP was allolocated to the TV. I guess this is what happene when you have a switch.

You can direct your router to give a fixed IP address for the MAC address of your MyCloud, while leaving DHCP on for the other devices of your network. That way, the MyCLoud will always get the same address from your router on your network.

Outmazirt wrote:

One thing I noticed though after twonky tweak, the local IP of the MyCloud changed. Now its previous IP was allolocated to the TV. I guess this is what happene when you have a switch.

It might have been after, but it wasn’t because of it.  The twonky settings don’t change the network configuration at all.

------ you can direct your router to give a fixed IP address for the MAC address of your MyCloud

where do you do that? on dashboard? on the router? I just opened the router (the classic linksys WRT54GS braodband) and I don’t see where I can assign a static IP to the server.