"Resume" Feature Only Partially Developed

A problem exists the software in all WD TV Live players. This is not a problem with my specific unit.

Two features of the player (which by themselves are each fine) combine to damage the user experience:

• When a user is watching a Video file and switches the Audio Track, the file restarts from the beginning
  • When a user “Resumes” a Video file the device only remembers the TIME that the user was up to but not which audio track was in use

When combined, the result is that when I am watching a file but not using the default audio track I cannot “Resume”.

Use case:
I have a folder full of TV episodes with two language tracks: Russian and English. I don’t speak Russian but that’s the default track.
Each episode is 50mins long. When I start an episode I can easily switch to the English stream and enjoy my file. However, if I stop halfway and then want to resume the file the next day there’s a problem. The WDTV offers to “resume” but goes back to the Russian track. If I switch to English it restarts the file.

Summary:

The WD box should remember two elements for the RESUME feature:

• Time
  • Audio track in use

It’s not “resuming” if you present something different to what was in use.

Good idea – have you seen this?

http://community.wdc.com/t5/General-Discussions/Please-Redirect-Your-Ideas-to-the-Ideas-Lab/td-p/13386

Top thread (sticky) of this forum and where you should be posting these.

In the meantime, depending on what container those files are in, it’s quite possible you can just remux them and either just eliminate the Russian track (unless you want it) or set the English one for the default.  If you let me know how they’re stored I’ll tell you what software and how you can do it.

I believe you will find that this only happens with certain files. I can change the audio channel on my mkv movies without it defaulting to the start.

I’ve NEVER seen a restart when changing audio tracks…  That’s odd.   

You know, with the MKV editors, you can swap the default tracks fairly quickly… :slight_smile:

richUK wrote:

I believe you will find that this only happens with certain files. I can change the audio channel on my mkv movies without it defaulting to the start.

Why don’t we just say the Live works best with MKV files and be done with it?  Sigh.

On the Apple forums there are tons of complaints about the AppleTV but almost no one asks if it will support any files other than MP4/V because, well, it CAN’T.  In a way it’s too bad the Live tries to be all things to all people (because you will *never* satisfy everyone).