Restore not finding files

Did a backup. But on my new computer it says “There are no files to restore.” even though I see them on the drive.

Hi,

You could refer to the following link: WD Backup: Restore Backup on a Different Computer

It seems that you have not active the Backup option on your system.

I have never done a Restore from either my original or from a set created on another computer, so my observations may be slightly off.

Reading the link that JontyS posted I had some comments.

• that the Backup software must first be installed on the new computer and a Restore function must be done as an initial step. If this was not done, you must uninstall, next install then tell the program to Restore…at least an initial set of files. I’m guessing that once a handshake is made with the Backup files and the new PC, you can go back and do more restores. OR, am I wrong…that future Restores cannot be done?
  • I don’t quite see why @jweadock43 cannot just Restore, but a error msg appears because the original backups did not originate from the same PC…my guess that if it did come from the same PC (or same PC name) than it would find the same PC name top folder. Not sure if there is another identifier that connects the two together.
  • also, the link say to download in a Temp folder on your PC…you now must manually move from here to where you really want these stored. If you know what these backups are for, like pic, videos…spreadsheets…then you know what/where they go. The problem with the explanations in the link is that it doesn’t tell you why the error msg and what you do on future backs…can you do partials and go back for more?
  • if however, you are trying to bring back App data or whole PC backups, I doubt you know where they ultimately go…This could be another topic for conversation! That’s a problem since we tend to backup more than we really know what files are really for. I got caught with Mozilla backups that created millions of cache files that I ended deleting.