Require assistance/advice modifying a theme (Simplicity)

Bane17 wrote:

…For reference before I begin, I am using the Simplicity Theme by DeVicious for SMP

2) When I first go in to ‘Videos’ it launches my portable harddrive.  It always makes me click in to the device name before displaying my Genres.  Is there any way to bypass this level?

-----------------------------------------------------** ------------------------------------------------**

There is a workaround for this , though unless it’s your standard setup on your network, you may find it a bit much. For me it is how I am setup anyways so works great. I am also using Simplicity, though the theme would not have any affect on  this.

1. Instead of having your media on a USB drive attached to your SMP, the media needs to be on another machine, used as a file server.

1. Setup shares for each of your genres folders on the file server. The SMP will show EVERY share on that machine when you choose it for your videos.

1. Go to that machine via network shares, and the SMP will keep that as the default view each time you click on the videos icon.

Works well for me since I already keep my media on a file server instead of attached drives. I do this with my HUB and my SMP. When I choose “video” from the main screen in simplicity, both of the devices automatically show all the shares on the file server since it was the last machine (and only) I used. For me, instead of each genre, I have have shared one tier above, so the folders it shows me are “TV SERIES”, “MOVIES” and “HOME VIDEO”, and then I have my genres underneath those. You would just share each genre at the tier below. The only thing you have to be careful about is that since it will show EVERY share on the machine, if you have other shares for files or users, those would show up as well. I have just removed those from the machine.

Yeah, it is a real cludgy way of doing things if you are not already setup with a file server that is always on, or a NAS that would act similarly. Since I wanted failover on my drives, to me this was a very natural setup.

Good Luck.

-P