[REQUEST] New Features - Please put all your requests in this thread

I would like the ability to save favourite folders from media shares or network shares.  This is so that my wife, who is impatient with technology, doesn’t have to navigate menus and folders every time she wants to play a video for my 3 year old.  XBMC had this years ago.

I would like to second the request for skipping within a video.  Something like what my pvr does which is 1 minute forward and 30 seconds back.  Perhaps double click could be 10 minutes forward or 5 back.  Again XBMC had skipping within a video quite some time ago.

I would also like the ability to output analog stereo audio at the same time as using HDMI.  I would like to be able to set a Last.FM station and turn off my TV to listen to internet radio over my stereo.

Many of us use the WDTV Live as part of a home theatre and therefore have a universal remote.  It would be nice if we could have an extended list of IR commands available to get the fullest experience out of the the WDTV Live.

Every time I wake/turn on the WDTV Live it takes a few moments to connect to the wired LAN.  I assume it is taking time to negotiate with the DHCP server to get a new lease.  Why can’t it use the lease it already had if it has not yet expired?  It is annoying that I can ask the WDTV to browse for media servers before it has a network connection.  There is also no visual feedback provided to say that it hasn’t finished negotiating the network connection yet.

David

While this does not affect me, the ability to disable HDMI audio is vital for many people with a home theatre. I am surprised that this option is not already given.

1. Allow users to disable the Music and Photos Options from the main screen

2. Allow users to disable the Media Servers or Network Shares Icon’s within the Sub Menus, if they don’t have Media Servers or Network Shares in their home. Additional options that don’t do anything are just confusing to some people.

3. Allow users to specify which network shares they want  displayed, instead of displaying everything found.

WMA Pro 10 6 channels decoding support. Thanks.

Done :slight_smile: I couldnt see that option earlier as I didnt realize I was browsing this thread as a guest. I logged in, and edited the first thread. I will be updating it regularly :) 

neonerz - I’ve tried mounting CIFS shares and NFS shares with B-rads firmware. They work with limited functionality. For example, with thumb drive attached, the only way to access your files is through “All Folders” view. No sorting with date, etc.

Also, cifs-interceptor method is tricky as my share is not detected locally. Hence the reason why I need an option to enter IP address directly to access a particular share, like how we do to map network drives in Windows.

BTW, I dont think you can mount any NFS share without having a thumbdrive connected to WDTV. I tried net.mounts (without thumbdrive) inside /conf/ but that wont work. I was able to connect my NFS shares, but the only bad point is that it doesnt let me organize my files, plus I have to waste a USB port in order to see my shares. I am also a regular visitor at B-rad’s site and following up on all his updates. I infact upgraded my box with his homebrew firmware the day I got my Live box. I’ve used his latest 2.1.1 but still not happy with it. What we really need is a PROPER firmware from WD that has this functionality! 

To OMDB-PiLoT and all members

I think it’s waste of time to write requests here because WD created a special thread for this :

http://community.wdc.com/t5/ideas/ideaexchangepage/blog-id/idea

1. I was wondering why the images are slightly cropped (i.e. zoomed in) when shown on a standard def TV? If I am watching an image I want to see the full image without having to move the image from side to side. Please fix this error. If anything allow people to turn on/off this feature or make the zoom in/out better by allowing the image to be zoomed out a tiny bit. 
  2. Use the arrow keys for menu navigation and avoid using the back key. If I enter the settings menu and then Select Audio/Video why can I not use the navigation buttons to leave this menu? if the user is in file list mode why can I not do the same with music, pictures or videos? Using the arrow keys for one part and the back key for other parts is just not logical and unnecessary for the user interface.
  3. Allow slow motion (1/2 1/4 1/8 1/16 speed) FF or RW if the video is paused and FF or Rev is pressed.

Seem clear a lot of people have bought this, but really want something else - so they ask for unresonable and totally over the top things just for the sake of asking.

I’m annoyed daily by the bad FF/REV in avi files, so I hope they see my suggestion first!

And thanks to OMDB-PiLoT- for updating the list :slight_smile:

I’d like to see Configurable Shares I don’t want to see all shares why would I want to specify music twice

It would be sweet if it worked like XBMC being able to add sources so you see only what you want to see, including which internet based media you want to see or not. Pandora is only available in the US so why should everybody have to see it, be great if you could turn on and off stuff you want or don’t want, and as stuff is added people can select which they want

maybe even somekind of plugin system for more regional stuff

Also gapless audio, smart playlists, coming from using my old xbox running XBMC, WDTV is a HUGE step down in the music player department, it’s open source share and share alike. At least adapt the same kind of user friendliness and features seen in XBMC

Please add support for Win7 Media Center .wtv   file format.  This is the new format MS is using for recorded TV.

__SD__ wrote:

To OMDB-PiLoT and all members

I think it’s waste of time to write requests here because WD created a special thread for this :

http://community.wdc.com/t5/ideas/ideaexchangepage/blog-id/idea

This is a good thread to consolidate all requests but it would also be good to put individual ideas (one per post) in the Idea Exchange so we can vote on them.  Keep in mind that one post with lots of votes is better then many posts on same idea with 1 vote each so do a search before posting a new idea.

What about virtualization when playing music? Watching the WD logo bounce around my screen while cool for the first few hours, gets old fast.

Also what about the ability to watch a video while listening to audio (obviously with the videos audio disabled)? This way we can listen to our playlists and at least have some kind of visual effect.

NETFLIX

Anyone interested in Nexflix support please place your vote and comment if you like in the Idea Exchange section here:  http://community.wdc.com/t5/ideas/ideaexchangepage/blog-id/idea

Click the Arrow on the left to add you vote “Kudos”.

Great to see all these suggestions – thanks to OMDB-PiLoT for getting the ball rolling!

I want to make sure everyone knows that we’ve got a dedicated space called the Idea Exchange for submitting ideas like these – and voting on ideas others have submitted.   The Idea Exchange is intended to give great ideas more visibility and help Western Digital understand what our customers really need.   It’s new – try it out.   We’ll read all ideas submitted there, and let you know our plans for addressing the ideas that get the most votes.

To add your idea, click the New Idea button on the Idea Exchange page (example shown below).

For more information about using the Idea Exchange, please see this thread: Ideas

Downcode wmapro to something we can hear if we don’t have digital

Being able to show subtitles in the DVB-T/C format (embedded mp2/4 broadcast streams) - this is the digital format used in all of europe, many countires in Asia/Australasia even some in the americas - so there is a huge potential user base for this.

1.DTS HD MA  pastrough

2.Onscreen info showing current bitrates of video and sound and any other interesting info about current state of wdtv

3.Morer subtitle options(colour,position,size,…) 

4.Ability to show movie sheets

Regarding the idea exchange, I’d like to suggest that it be suggested (lots of suggesting going on here) that only one idea be entered per post.  It makes voting on ideas difficult otherwise (agree with one, disagree with the other, see the problem?)

1. Should be able to adjust volume using the up/down arrow keys when a video or audio file is playing.  Currently I need to use the TV remote to adjust the volume.  Even my old media gate MG45 lets me adjust volume.  Come on WD, is that too hard?

2. When displaying the chapter menu it should default to the currently playing chapter and not default to chapter 1.

3. Jump to previous chapter by pressing the left arrow key and next chapter using the right arrow key

4. Ability to jump to specific time in the video/audio file.