Request for Information from those having issues with Netflix

Questions

Can you please describe the specific problem you are experiencing with Netflix?

We get the message that “cannot connect to Netflix at this time.  Please try again later, or visit www.netflix.com/help.  There is a 502 code that shows in the lower right hand corner of the grey box that has this message. 

Netflix did work on the device when we bought it just a few weeks ago (mid-March), but around 31 March it stopped working.  I did a firmware update, hoping that would solve the issue, but it did not.  

I have been on with customer support in the US numerous times, but only recently learned that the issue were have  been having has been happening to lots of other people here in the UK. 

Where are you located?

Near Colchester, Essex, UK

What FW version were you on when you came across this issue?

1.07.15, I believe

• If 1.07.15 Please try to go up to 1.07.18 and validate if the issue is still there.

When was 107.18 released?

Are you connecting to any other US-based content providers? (Vudu, CinemaNow)

No

• Did you connect to this service prior to accesing Netflix?

Are you using Unblock-US or OpenDNS to access the US Netflix service?

No

• Does this problem occur when you use one of the DNS clients?
  • Does the problem occur regardless of using one of the DNS clients?

Within Netflix, does the issue occur before or after the login screen?

It happens after the Netflix banner, but before we get to the movie choices.  Sometimes there is a runner of grey boxes below Netflix, but often that does not appear.  

What router are you using?

BT Home Hub

What kind of network  (Cable, DSL)

Wireless

Who is your Internet Service Provider?

British Telecom (BT Total Broadband)

Is Netflix working with any other devices (PC, laptop)?

Yes, it works on our wireless network on both my laptop and via the Wii, although the image quality through the Wii is not very good, which is why we got the WD TV device.  

Also, other services such

Hi,

1.   Netflix app opens and loads but then brings up 502 error  and says unable to connect to Netflix and shows a try again tab ,but when you press retry it brings up same message. all this seems to happen withhin the app as the netflix bar is at the top.

2.   Stockport UK.

3.   Firmware 1.07.18 . Had the unit 1 day (today 20/04/2012)  i have updated firmware twice and  Netflix UK does not work, I PURCHASED THIS DEVICE BEACAUSE I SUBSCIBE TO NETFLIX!!

4 . I can go on collage sports , Flixster, Vimeo  i think there US based. 

5 . I am using my default DNS which is set by my Router via my ISP (Virgin Media)

1. Before Login , see Q1.

2. Router is a Draytek VIGOR  2900V.

3. Cable.

4. Virgin Media.

5. Netflix works on 2 laptops in my house , and if i do( ip config ) on them they use same DNS as my router which also has my Wdtv player connected.

I cannot wait for a fix, I puchased for NetFlix, the device will be returned asap, sorry but I am very disappointed.

1. Netflix app opens and loads but then brings up 502 error  and says unable to connect to Netflix
  2. London - UK
  3. 1.07.18 but have tried rollback on all firmware back to 1.06.14 when Netflix support was added for UK - No Luck
  4.  Yes
  5.  Have used Unblock-US to get access intially then switch back to default DNS and works for the rest of the day.  Device then gets deactivated and problem occurs again - Groundhog day. If you have Unblock-US DNS then you can reactivate and reinput user details and connect. With UK DNS settings not.
  6.  Before logon - implies that ESN is blocked .
  7. 2Wire
  8. DSL
  9. BT
  10. Xbox, laptop, iPad  - All work

We have been working closely  with Netflix trying to resolve this issue.  Please try resetting your WDTV to factory defaults, try to launch Netflix again and let us know if the issue is resolved. Thank you.

Been there,done that and still error 502

DracUK

1. Error 502 after launching Netflix. I have never got as far as a log in  screen since this device was purchased. 
  2. Kent
  3. All versions of firmware (box auto upgraded when installed)
  4. No
  5. No
  6. Before
  7. Netgear
  8. Cable
  9. Virgin Media
  10. It works fine with all  other devices - IPAD, PC etc

KathyG wrote:

We have been working closely  with Netflix trying to resolve this issue.  Please try resetting your WDTV to factory defaults, try to launch Netflix again and let us know if the issue is resolved. Thank you.

To be honest as a paying customer, this sort of response is not good enough. Appreciate you may be working on the issue, but the lack of actual information is pretty poor. I can certainly say that a factory reset was one of the first things I tried and I’m sure many others did too. We are not idiots, and that’s how that comment makes me feel. If that is the only suggestion from the “investigation” then it’s not going to well is it ? 

I am sorry to be blunt, but some real indicator of the problem and forthcoming fix needs to be shared with the user community. Thanks.

gribster wrote:  I can certainly say that a factory reset was one of the first things I tried and I’m sure many others did too. We are not idiots, and that’s how that comment makes me feel. 

You did the reset AFTER NetFlix made changes to their code?  Or you did it some time ago?

Kathy is clearly indicating that NetFlix has made some recent changes to their software (which the WD downloads a portion of when you start the app), and a RESET is potentially required to clear out the old data.

Thanks for the response. No I haven’t done a recent reset. It’s not clear in the official response that any actual changes have been made.

I am not in a position to test this for a couple of days, but will do so. Fingers crossed.

… and if it still doesn’t work, keep complaining!  :smileyvery-happy:

1 Like

Tried reset bit still getting 502 error

I just wanted to provide a quick update:

The Intermittent Logout issue has been identified and resolved.  We will release a fix soon for this issue.

We are still working with Netflix to resolve the 502 errors seen, and this issue continues to have a top priority with our teams.

The intermittent logout issue will be fixed in our next public release. Thank you all for your patience while we fixed this issue.

The 502 error message still persists. I’ve received private messages indicating that this issue may be fixed for some customers. Please reset your device to the default settings and try to launch Netflix again.

Thanks KathyG.

Logged on successfully using standard DNS UK servers.

What was the issue?

Netflix UK working for me now .

Netflix UK working ok now for me after factory reset …Thanks

Questions:

1. After selecting a moive and I hit play the pgress bar goes to about 30% and stops then after a few minutes it asks to reactivate netflix. This does not help . I must unplug ang back the box to hopefully be able to play a movie. After 1 moive I normally can’t play another one - I must power cycle again
  2. Ottawa Canada
  3. 1.07.18 - Before this version everything was working fine
  4. No
  5. No
  6. After
  7. Belkin F5D8235-4
  8. Cable
  9. Teksavvy
  10. Works on PC

Just started noticing this issue after having only had my WD tv Live for about a week. **bleep** annoying as I bought it only to use NetFlix…

1. Have to reactivate my device as it become deactivated.

1. UK

2. 1.07.18 latest

3. No

4. No

5. The error occurs on loading the first programme after switching on.  Gets to say 15% and then hangs for a while before throwing up the error

6. Netgear DGN2200 V1.0.0.36_7.0.36 & WD TV Live attached via WiFi (WPA2-PSK AES)

7. DSL via C&W LLU at about 8Mbps

8. Demon Internet/Thus (C&W)

9. Works perfectly on Nintendo Wii, 2 Ipad 3’s and iPhone 4s. ONLY does this on the WD TV Live box

• Can you please describe the specific problem you are experiencing with Netflix?

About every day or 2, Netflix will freeze about 25% into loading a video and say it has been deactivated and require me to login to reactivat ethe account again. THis happens whether the WD is turned off at night, left on, in standby or hard booted. A factory reset does nothing.

• Where are you located?

US.

• What FW version were you on when you came across this issue?
    • If 1.07.15 Please try to go up to 1.07.18 and validate if the issue is still there.

Running 1.07.18 and the problem persists.

• Are you connecting to any other US-based content providers? (Vudu, CinemaNow)

Yes, HuluPlus, Pandora, and Vudu.

• Did you connect to this service prior to accesing Netflix?

Yes (butt not Vudu).

• Are you using Unblock-US or OpenDNS to access the US Netflix service?

No.

• Does this problem occur when you use one of the DNS clients?

• Does the problem occur regardless of using one of the DNS clients?

• Within Netflix, does the issue occur before or after the login screen?

After the login screen. I will open the Netflix app, select a show, and it stops around 25% before telling me it is deactivated.

• What router are you using?

Dlink Dir655

• What kind of network  (Cable, DSL)

Microwave Wireless.

• Who is your Internet Service Provider?

Rapidwave.

• Is Netflix working with any other devices (PC, laptop)?

Yes, works fine on a laptop, desktop, TV, BluRay Player, and through Playon media server.

Seems like a common problem Pick movie, tries to start , locks up or just asks if I’m a member ? When I respond yes I must then respond with user name and password. Bloody nuisance. Netflix said you are working on problem. Will there be a recall or a firmware update? What is estimated fix time? Netflix is expecting my cancellation notice and my WD TV live streaming media player  will appear on eBay with best offer accepted. Your response is important to me since it could have a long term affect on our continued relationship.