Repurpose drive inside new WD cloud 4tb

it My WD cloud is not performing as expected right out of the box.  I am considering taking apart and using the drive as an internal drive. I know that will void the warranty.  My question - can the drive be reformatted as used as an internal drive?.  Can the drive inside be repurposed as an internal drive?   Thanks Al

Someone else can chime in but I don’t see any reason why not. It’s just a western digital RED nas drive inside.

aljodo wrote:

it My WD cloud is not performing as expected right out of the box.  I am considering taking apart and using the drive as an internal drive. I know that will void the warranty.  My question - can the drive be reformatted as used as an internal drive?.  Can the drive inside be repurposed as an internal drive?   Thanks Al

Check your personal mail in this forum :wink:

it can be . but i would rather sell the NAS drive without breaking it open off on ebay . And buy an internal drive instead. That way you dont void the warranty,

I have thought about selling on ebay but it just doesn’t seem like something I want to do because maybe this darn thing is defective or maybe it is just a bad product.  I am a consumer and can’t spend the time with someone who can’t get it to work either.  To me it is a $200 loss and I can get some use back. I kind of wish I send it back to WD and ask for a 4gb bare drive with a warranty.  

The problem is my time.  I have family members that were dependant on this.  I travel four days a week.  I just don’t have time to figure out and work through a product. I also don’t want to be a tech.  I bought this becasue it is a pretty simple concept. Plug into the network.  I have two network printers that have worked perfect.  My wi-fi routers work great, my magic jack works great.  My network works great.  This doesn’t.   As I type this:  maybe I try a different brand, sell this on ebay for peanuts with a mia cupa that I cannot get it to work for more than two hoursf and move on.  It is so frustrating as it should work, others love these, all I want is a networked drive.  If I could just find that proper combination I could get on with my life.  

Thank goodness for this forum.  It does give me ideas and I try thembut so far nothing seems to work.   

You mentioed does not meet your expections . Can you please elobrate on that ? What are the major issue(s) , specific trouble(s). I am sure we can find a solution.

the problem is that it disconnects after two hours.  It is fairly uniform in the time.  Under three hours.  I have spent possibly twenty hours trying all the things I can find on the internet. 

Here is what I put in another post.

Works great when I unplug the power and it reconnects.  Then a hour of tow later no more my cloud showing in the network.

It has done this with great regularity.  If I upplug the power it will connect again and I can see it in the network and write to it.  Then a couple of hours later it is gone.  I have done the easy stuff like changing ethernet connection port (many different times to new ethernet ports) and changed the cable to three different ones - no difference.  Of course it porbably was not that becasue it will work great each time I unplug the power and power it up.

I have upgraded to the latest firmware.  All my other network items work like champs and have for a long time.    I read about changing ports in one post but I could not find any specific resource to that other than changing to port 443.  I don’t kow how to do that.  I am a consumer not up to speed on these issues.  I only want to use the drive as a network drive.  I don’t need the other funcitons.  Just let three home PC write and read to the drive.  I doesn’t matter which pc I am at.  The cloud is visible and then goes away.  The three pcs are two windows 8.1 and one windows 7

1. Is changing the port a viable option.?  On which device do you do this?  The WD cloud or the router?  Any links to pertinent information.

2.  Is the WD cloud defective -RMA candidate?

3  Is this behavoir by design - I mean do I have some setting checked that dissconnects the unit after some time?

4.  What type of drive is inside.  Can I take it apart and use the drive as an internal drive and toss the rest?.  At least I   can salvage some use.    thanks so much

I appreciate the encouraging words.  I am willling to stick with it for awhiile longer but it appears pretty grim to me. I am going to be away from home for three days so I will not be able to respond to help or questions.  Help!

Can I get the instructions or information you sent to the OP?

before you pull the drive you may want to login with SSH and run the commands below these seem to be the source of many of the problems. i would also set a static IP address if you have not done this yet

/etc/init.d/wdmcserverd stop
/etc/init.d/wdphotodbmergerd stop

update-rc.d wdphotodbmergerd disable
update-rc.d wdmcserverd disable