Repository with software worked on v4 firmware

I have one problem with this method. Transmission is working like a charm but my problem is with paths.

WD My Cloud default path location is:
/DataVolume/debian/mnt

With Chroot path location isn’t the same and i have problems with my SmartTV, with Chroot path location is:
/DataVolume/debian/DataVolume

In settings.json i have download-dir with this value:
“download-dir”: “/DataVolume/shares/Public/Transmission/Downloads”

If change this value to another, the path ALWAYS is under /DataVolume/debian/DataVolume. I need the downloads to be on the same default route that WD My Cloud:
/DataVolume/debian/mnt/Public/Transmission/Downloads

One possible solution is to make the mnt folder a symbolic link to the real Public folder.

SOLVED!!! Twonky Server configuration was my problem. Steps to Configure properly:

1.- I create a symbolic link how told me @rac8006

ln -s /DataVolume/debian/DataVolume/shares/Public/Transmission/Downloads /DataVolume/debian/mnt/Public

2.- In Twonky Server added shared folder: /Public/Downloads (use browse button)
3.- Go to the Advanced control page, scroll to the bottom, and hit ‘Rescan Content Folders’.

This is how I made it work. The thread is really helpful in getting Transmission 2.84 on WD Mycloud 1st gen on v4. Just that the information are in different replies of the thread as it is available from 2014 till date. Collating all of this into one reply to help people.

Connect via SSH and install Chroot env:

1. Download chroot
wget http://anionix.ddns.net/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Gen1/Chroot/chroot-j64k.sh chmod a+x chroot-j64k.sh

2. Install chroot
./chroot-j64k.sh install

3. Enable Autostart and mount proc etc
/DataVolume/debian/chroot_debian.sh install
cd /DataVolume/debian
mount -t proc proc proc/
mount -t sysfs sys sys/
mount -o bind /dev dev/

4. Enter into chroot
chroot /DataVolume/debian /bin/bash

5. Upgrade packages

apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

6. Install Transmission

apt-get install transmission-daemon

If you are seeing permission denied errors, edit user to root in file /etc/init.d/transmission-daemon

7. Start Transmission

And now start daemon to see if it starts without issues.

/etc/init.d/transmission-daemon start

8. Now stop it to modify settings.json

/etc/init.d/transmission-daemon stop

9. Make changes

sed -i ‘s/“rpc-authentication-required”: true,/“rpc-authentication-required”: false,/g’ /etc/transmission-daemon/settings.json
sed -i ‘s/“rpc-whitelist-enabled”: true,/“rpc-whitelist-enabled”: false,/g’ /etc/transmission-daemon/settings.json

10. Start Transmission

/etc/init.d/transmission-daemon start

Access it using wdmycloud’s IP and port 9091

Note: The default download location is under path /DataVolume/debian/var/lib/transmission-daemon/downloads/

I created a link in root for convenience.
From /root
ln -s /DataVolume/debian/var/lib/transmission-daemon/downloads/ Downloads

1. I already made link but after going into in windows explorer the notification about no permission.is showing up
    Any way to get into that dir with windows explorer?

2. How to return to factory state (get rid of chroot)?

3. Updated rom and now transmission its not accessible. How to reinstall chroot? Its loading manually but some files are missing and I cant install transmission once more.

4. Is there any way to save files into /DataVolume/shares/Public/ . Using last post its saving in /DataVolume/debian/DataVolume/shares/Public/

Lot of users are having issues with save path. after a long time heres how i fixed it.
Install through steps provided by unuspromulti on may 17th.
Then stop transmission and run this code
" ln -s /etc/transmission-daemon/settings.json /root/.config/transmission-daemon/settings.json "
then
" sed -i" s | \ "download-dir ": \ "/ var / lib / transmission-daemon / downloads \ ", | " download-dir \ ": " / mnt / Public / Downloads \ “, | g” "
then Download WINSCP and SFTP into your my cloud using root username and password.

then head to /DataVolume/debian/etc/transmission-daemon and edit settings.json file and set “download-dir”: “/mnt/Public/Downloads”, .
You should now be able to see downloads in shares/public/downloads on windows. this is how i got it to work.
Correct me if im wrong.

Thanks for this great Work,

may I ask for rsnapshot?

Hello all.
I wonder how could I use the screen command in the chrooted environment the repo in this thread provides. Is much needed to decouple long lasting processes from the terminal, and use the whole power of the updated environment…
Any help would be welcome.
Regards

My solution for the Transmission path is:

1. Make a public directory in WD My Cloud UI like ‘Downloads’
  2. Login as root in SSH
  3. Bind the ‘Downloads’ folder with Transmission ‘downloads’ folder:
    mount --bind /DataVolume/shares/Downloads /DataVolume/debian/var/lib/transmission-daemon/downloads

I did this because Transmission is installed in chroot & it’s not possible for chroot to write to a directory higher than /debian. Now the files in Transmission ‘downloads’ folder are also visible & accessible for Windows Explorer. My device is on v04.05.00-342

Did this and altough it worked i have to do this after every restart. any way around it?

@muzzik Did this and altough it worked i have to do this after every restart. any way around it?

Hi all. I have similar problem as @RUSHAB_OSWAL @unuspromulti however any of suggested methods doesn’t seem to be working.

Setup:

• got macbook to browse
  • wd my cloud connected to router
  • got Dune Pro HD 4K mediaplayer connected to router via wi-fi
  • TV connected to Dune

I’ve done all steps of setup and all’s been good, Transmission is running, Remote GUI works fine, the torrents are getting downloaded, but then neither my Mac, nor Dune/TV, nor web interface of mycloud cannot see files downloaded.

However i can see those when connected via terminal (zoc7) in /DataVolume/debian/DataVolume/ instead of just DataVolume/
In other words the downloads go to chroot and are no visibile.

As i said i’ve tried all methods in the thread (mounting / creating symbolic link), but nothing works. Mac can see symbolic link, but cannot follow through. Dune actually sees link, but when inside - no files are visible again.

On the other hand torrents downloaded by uTorrent installed on macbook are visible all good…

What could i be doing wrong? Maybe i need to assign some type of wrights to specific folders via chmod?

Would really appreciate some advice!

P.S. i’ve never used terminal / been in Unix system, so apologies for possibly dumb questions.

@RUSHAB_OSWAL @muzzik
Solved for me… it was so obvious i’m now feeling stupid =)
If by default whatever path is set in config.json it actually wrights into /DataVolume/debian/“Specified path”, then just put /mnt/Public into config and the full path Transmission will be downloading to would actually be /DataVolume/debian/mnt/Public - which is basic shared folder in WD My Cloud

you just need to change permissions for the folder to allow transmission to write into it… set 777 permission just in case.

Works fine now! These were fun several nights of googling for unix commands for someone who never touched terminal or Unix systems at all before =) Cheers everyone.

Is there a nzb downloader available?

EDIT: You can get an old version of nzbget (0.7) from wd.hides.su that seems to work ok. I will test it on newer nzbs and report back. You can get the nzbgetweb from sourceforge and place the directory in /var/www/htdocs.

Could you write more how to set this download directory to be visible in Public folder? I see no files in /DataVolume/debian/mnt/Public