Replacement Drive for G-Speed Q Question

Hey Community
I have a question I was wondering if anyone knows the answer to. I bought a replacement drive for my G Speed Q. I plugged it, the alarm sounds and flashes red. All the working drives rapidly flash blue but the replacement is solid blue. Does the replacement drive (hopefully) just need to be formatted?
*Using the 16TB Raid5 set up. Replacement HD has all the same information on the sticker as the other 3 drives.
*** Had the drive formatted, but can’t partition on my computer… Is there a software I need or can get to partition it? I had the hd in my main computer replaced so don’t have the original software… All lights a re solid blue now but red light flashing…
Thank you

The process is to have the unit turned on with the failed drive bay empty. Then plug in the replacement drive and it will go through the rebuild process. This will take several hours.

Thank you for the reply @Rydia, so it will do the partition etc… on its’ own? So the look will be… the three good drives will be flashing blue rapidly, new drive will be solid blue and main unit red light will continue to flash red while rebuilding?

Hi @Rydia Currently all 4 drives are solid blue and the red light is still blinking… Is this part of the process? I do not believe it would have had enough time to rebuild all the data in that short of a time at this point…

Yes it will flash until it is done. It should be completed by now.

So… still red flashing light… 4 solid blue lights… any thoughts on why the red light will not stop blinking? Do i have a Raid set up again? How do i check this? I have tried calling support many times and always get a busy signal…

You can delete the RAID set and then create it from scratch. However it is possible that the LED is just faulty at this point.

Would that delete the data on there? If not, how would i recreate the raid?

Yes it would delete the data. Anytime you are creating the RAID it is destructive. In this case your data is still intact isn’t it? its just the LEDs acting like its in activity. If so then you would need to move the data off elsewhere prior to redoing the RAID.

With the G-Speed Q configurator on our site: G-Speed Q configurator (Choose the one you need based on OS and version)

With that not being an option to back up everything at the moment and over writing the raid and losing all my data not an option I tried disconnecting the unit and then reconnected it using an USB 3 cord instead of the firewire, ran a disk utility first aid repair, which actually worked this time with the USB 3 cord. Everything is fine now, all lights are blue and the red light has stopped flashing and beeping. Checking the “get info” tab show the proper amount of data and storage avail. People reading this post, you may want to try reconnecting with a USB 3 cable and see if that helps with your issue if you have not tried that yet…

If you have a USB connection it will always be preferred over FW now at this point. Apple has given up on supporting FireWire since 10.6.8