Replacement composite cable help

Where can I find a single AV out to RCA composite like the one that comes with the WDTV Live Plus? I lost mine and am wondering what store might have them?

What model did I buy, (wdbaap0000nbk-01) and how to connect the composite signals?
What model did I buy, (wdbaap0000nbk-01) and how to connect the composite signals?

It’s doubtful you’ll find them in the stores, but it’s possible.   Best Bet for a GUARANTEED replacement is to call Tech Support and see if they can send you a new one.  I don’t think they’re offered on the WD Store, unfortunately…

Yup, call Tech Support to purchase another cable.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

Oh, by the way:  You could try using the COMPONENT cable set instead.   The only practical difference is the color of the connectors.   You might need to experiment to figure out which is which, but it might work!

Thanks for all the answers! I did not know that you could use component cables in composite inputs but it works like a charm.  

Thanks for the tip on replacing the composite cable. I may still do so while this solution tides me over.

Are not these standard type of cables?  The one with a mini jack at one end (a mini jack that allows A/V and recognizable by the four sections on it - one for ground and three for AV) and three RCA jacks on other end (two for audio and one for composite video)?  I see these in stores and on eBay.  Does the AV mini used by WD map AV differently?

Lunar07 wrote:

Are not these standard type of cables?  The one with a mini jack at one end (a mini jack that allows A/V and recognizable by the four sections on it - one for ground and three for AV) and three RCA jacks on other end (two for audio and one for composite video)?  I see these in stores and on eBay.  Does the AV mini used by WD map AV differently?

Yes.

Bill - You mean YES as an answer that WD mapped the mini jack differently?  Trying to make a buck selling cables :smiley:

For info:

The composite and component cables are wired up as detailed below.

Yellow, White and Red - Composite lead

Green, Blue and Red - Component lead

Yellow = Green (tip of plug)

White = Blue (first ring from tip of plug)

Red = Red (second ring from tip of plug)

Screen (third ring from tip of plug)

Obviously you can use any lead with 3 phono / rca plugs as long as they are wired to the tip, first ring and second ring (from tip) of a 3 ring 3.5mm jack plug with the screen connected to the 3rd ring (from tip). 

You can use the component in place of the composite and vice versa.

Ooh.  Nice work.   I’ve added that as 1H of the next revision of the FAQ.

Somebody’s being playing with his VOM .

Lunar07 wrote:

Bill - You mean YES as an answer that WD mapped the mini jack differently?  Trying to make a buck selling cables :smiley:

Yup and Nope… just the way the ball bounced.