Replace PR4100 chassis with original drives

My PR4100 has an issue with the drive bay not coming out of standby. It is under warranty, but I can’t recover the data to send the complete drive bay and drives back for replacement. WD have not helped at all and referred me to a Data Recovery company near me that will charge $2000-$4000 to recover it. I want to buy another PR4100 drive bay only and place my already configured RAID 5 drives into it and continue on.

What I need to be sure of is: Will the drives be formatted if I insert them into the new bay? Is there a choice or way to prevent this from happening or because they are already formatted and in the correct order, will it not try to format them?

Help appreciated.

Hi, the unit will not power up, the on/off button just flashes, no display on the screen. I cannot tell you what the version is as it doesn’t power up.

Are you able to answer the question about the formatting?

dswv42 - Thanks for the response. I now have an additional backup solution, so once I remedy this I will be scheduling full backups. I take on your suggestion for JBOD, as coupled with an effective backup schedule, any loss through drive failure can be recovered without too much loss. Of course originally when purchasing all this, my biggest fear was drive failure, hence the RAID 5, now I have a change of mind. Cheers.