Replace HDD Problem

When my 160 GB IDE HDD in my Dell Dimension 2400 was hit with bad spyware and I had to reformat the HDD. Yes I’ve saved backup files into brand new 2TB External HDD. :slight_smile:

I tried to re-install the 160 GB IDE HDD, *poof* the os was gone. I had an idea to make it easier for me is to get my another existing 80 GB IDE in my Gateway computer (I don’ use it anymore since it has 500 mhz processor yes its very old school!) be replaced.

Both HDD has 10 pins so I carefully put the very same jumper settings on 80 GB HDD. I connected it to the Dell computer and started. It came out saying to choose the options: “Safe mode, safe mode with networking, normal start windows or back to the original configuration setting”. I’ve tried three of them and it remains looping again and again and won’t able to go to Windows XP os.

Anyone have any ideas what went wrong and how I can get it work again? All hard drives I have are Western Digital.

Thanks!

deafcheer wrote:

When my 160 GB IDE HDD in my Dell Dimension 2400 was hit with bad spyware and I had to reformat the HDD. Yes I’ve saved backup files into brand new 2TB External HDD. :slight_smile:

I tried to re-install the 160 GB IDE HDD, *poof* the os was gone. I had an idea to make it easier for me is to get my another existing 80 GB IDE in my Gateway computer (I don’ use it anymore since it has 500 mhz processor yes its very old school!) be replaced.

Both HDD has 10 pins so I carefully put the very same jumper settings on 80 GB HDD. I connected it to the Dell computer and started. It came out saying to choose the options: “Safe mode, safe mode with networking, normal start windows or back to the original configuration setting”. I’ve tried three of them and it remains looping again and again and won’t able to go to Windows XP os.

Anyone have any ideas what went wrong and how I can get it work again? All hard drives I have are Western Digital.

Thanks!

If you reformatted the 160 GB hard drive, then of course your operating system will be gone.  You will need to reinstall it to get it back. 

You do not want to try and run the old drive on your new system.  You will have issues with drivers not loading correctly.  That’s why it wanted to run in safe mode.

Also, if you have your data on internal drives on the computer, make sure you disconnect them before install windows on the drive.  You may inadvertently wipe them if you reformat the drive again.