Replace HDD in Mycloud (Gen1)

Did you run that command after starting the directions from the very beginning of the steps?

Device or resource busy might mean the VM is automounting the partitions (RAID/MD0 or MD127) after they are initially created. Try unmounting the MD or RAID partitions before running that portion of step 8.

Hello Bennor,

I workaround the error “device or resource busy” with command: dadm --stop /dev/md
then i runned the command again:

sudo mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level=1 --metadata=0.9 --raid-devices=2 /dev/sda1 /dev/sda2

Worked, then i runned all the commands left, step by step, one by one… and in the end, same behavior. This time i tested with HDD 500GB in WD Dashboard show me wrong capacity. Tested again system restore and nothing. Red light status remains.

Forgot to mention that the test i made today, when i runned the command: “watch cat /proc/mdstat” in the step 8, i was able to watch percentage increasing…

I wondering if you have 5 minutos of your time for a remote session to my Virtual machine?

All best
Regards

As a troubleshooting step. Use a Linux boot disc or USB flash drive rather than using VM version of Linux.

Hello Bennor

Just to let you know that is done, today a made another test (still with VM) but i can’t tell you how i done it… several commands to put this work, i’ll continue testing … to know better and learning.

I have a question/doubt: The device is working fine now, it’s possible to make a full clone of the disk and load to another disk?? Shall it work?? I just wanna avoid all this commands :slight_smile:

Thanks for all support and tips
Regards

There is no reason and nothing stopping you from “cloning” or backing up the My Cloud hard drive to another location or drive for later restoration back to a bare hard drive. Plenty of third party programs that will do so. One will likely have to remove the My Cloud hard drive from it’s enclosure and attach it to another computer running the backup or cloning software though. There is also likely one or more methods of using Linux terminal commands (using SSH) within the My Cloud OS to clone/backup the partitions to another location.

Or one can use the My Cloud embedded backup option in the My Cloud Dashboard (Safepoint - v4.x firmware / Backup - v2.x firmware) to backup the contents of the My Cloud hard drive to another USB hard drive or location. At least that way one can still access their data. Downside to the My Cloud backup feature is the need to restore the My Cloud OS first to the hard drive before restoring the backup using the My Cloud Dashboard interface.

Hello,

Case solved, after several tests trying to install a new hdd disk in “My Cloud” enclosure,
i figure out two things that i was doing wrong…

1. in the step 8:
    Command: sudo mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level=1 --metadata=0.9 --raid-devices=2 /dev/sda1 /dev/sda2

I was getting an error in the output because system the device(hhd) was in use(busy),
the workaround was write the command again: mdadm --stop /dev/md
then run the command:
sudo mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level=1 --metadata=0.9 --raid-devices=2 /dev/sda1 /dev/sda2

Issue solved

1. After connected the hdd to the plate, device was not ok to operate because was not properly mounted.
    (Content Status - Not Mounted - Static Red light status)
    In my case the solution was to do a Quick Restore in the My Cloud Dashboard Settings.

After this, everything turns “blue”, i mean OK :slight_smile:

Tests made with 3 different disks: 1TB WD HDD, 1TB HDD Seagate, 500GB WD HDD Green.
All of them working fine, i hope that topic helps solve problems.

Regards and Thanks.

Stopping md* is in the directions in step 8. Are you saying that you issued that command before issuing the sudo mdadm --create.... command and it didn’t stop the md0 or the md127 so you had to issue it a second time?

8. Stop automatically loaded md raid (If need) and create new, normal (You can get errors "Not found". Its normal):
mdadm --stop /dev/md*
mdadm -A /dev/md0 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdb2
mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level=1 --metadata=0.9 --raid-devices=2 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdb2
	# Type "watch cat /proc/mdstat" and wait 100%. Then - [ctrl] + [c] for close.

Hello Bennor,

In Step 8 i done this…

Runned the commands by this order …

1. mdadm --stop /dev/md*
  2. mdadm -A /dev/md0 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdb2
  3. mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level=1 --metadata=0.9 --raid-devices=2 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdb2
    [Output Error : Device busy]
  4. mdadm --stop /dev/md*
  5. mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level=1 --metadata=0.9 --raid-devices=2 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdb2
    [Output OK!]
  6. “watch cat /proc/mdstat” and wait 100%.

My case worked OK.
Regards