Replace Defective Drive in DL4100

My system has informed me that drive #2 is bad in my DL4100. How do I replace this drive? I have a replacement on hand. Do I have to power down first? My system only gives me options to reboot, hibernate, or logout.

well ain’t that a kick in the pants. Had not noticed that. When did that happen I wonder?

I pressed my power button once (just a tap) and the LCD displayed system shutting down.

Should I power down to replace my defective drive?

I would, but I am not a Linux expert. In any case, you should have a backup of your data before doing anything else,

I put my system into hibernation about 2 hours ago. It powered itself down after about 2 minutes. I then replaced the defective drive. It started rebuilding volume #1 (the only volume) immediately, starting with an estimated completion time of 550 minutes (a little over 9 hours). It’s now at about 380 minutes and still rebuilding volume #1.

Thanks for your input.

I’ve been doing a little research on hard drive failure rates and came across mention of a study by Google in 2007 in which they reported annualized failure rates (AFRs) for individual drives ranged from 1.7% for first year drives to over 8.6% for three-year-old drives. A similar 2007 study at Carnegie Mellon University on enterprise drives showed that measured MTBF was 3–4 times lower than the manufacturer’s specification, with an estimated 3% mean AFR over 1–5 years based on replacement logs for a large sample of drives, and that hard drive failures were highly correlated in time. A 2007 study of latent sector errors (as opposed to the above studies of complete disk failures) showed that 3.45% of 1.5 million disks developed latent sector errors over 32 months (3.15% of nearline disks and 1.46% of enterprise class disks developed at least one latent sector error within twelve months of their ship date), with the annual sector error rate increasing between the first and second years.

BOTTOM LINE: MTBF numbers seem to me to be false indicators of what we should expect regarding hard drive failures, even with enterprise class hard drives. More likely we should expect somewhere around a few percent of hard drives to fail per year. So the failure of my RED drive within the first year is not as much an aberration as I thought it to be.

They could make them better but no one would pay the high price