Renaming Shares - a word of caution

Whilst checking how to update firmware to give a reply, I found that my main device had the ‘Manual Update’ greyed out. Not sure why. So I did a System-only restore. Which, of course, dropped back to the default configuration. ooops and grr.

Running v04.01.01-413

So I sorted out the mess with Twonky, and set all the device options back to how they should be.

Then I went to remove the now unnecessary SafePoint and TimeMachineBackup shares. Having done that, I went to set the correct permissions for my remaining shares.

I clicked on my user share, and it highlighted, and all the buttons became properly visible. But it said the share name and description were ‘Media’ Huh?

Studidly, I edited the name back to what it should be. Oh. that changed the name of the Media share to my user share. And, in doing so, deleted my user share, completely.  It didn’t warn me it was going to do this, or that there was already a share of that name, it just did it, and trashed the lot. I changed the name back to ‘Media’, but, unsurprisingly, my user folder didn’t magically re-appear.

It looks like the Dashboard UI had got ‘out of sync’ somehow, with one share highlighted, but showing the details for a different share.

Now the Shares display showed two entries with the name ‘Media’, one showing a capacity of 1.6TB, the other showing 11GB. But a look using SSH showed that my user folder had gone.

It took a reboot to make the shares display correctly.

I tried to access the media share via an Android file manager: empty. Gulp. A very sinking feeling. But SSH showed it was all still there. Phew.

So why was I not seeing the data? I fired up the PC for a more convenient user keyboard experience, and found that I couldn’t access my mapped shares. Back to SSH, and I found some weirdness in the permissions. So I hit the offending folders with a chmod 777, and access is now restored… But, as I’ve said on another thread, I don’t like doing that, because it is likely to muck around with MyCloud’s user permission system. The owner and groups are also a bit weird; but that’s what people are observing with the new firmware, too…

Currently restoring my user share from backup, but, as I have been a bit blase about backups recently, I’ll have lost some stuff. Mea culpa.

And, after all that, the firmware update was still not showing on the Android Chrome. But it now seems to be showing on PC Firefox…

Thanks for sharing your experience with the community.

Hope this helps other users.

And, after all that, the firmware update was still not showing on the Android Chrome. But it now seems to be showing on PC Firefox…

There appears to be a bug in the 04.01.01-413 firmware for the Dashboard, such that mouse focus isn’t detected correctly.

Most dialogue elements changed to a blue outline when they have mouse focus; place the cursor anywhere in the button, and the outline turns blue.

The ‘Update from File’ button has a very odd behaviour, in that the blue outline is only visible if the cursor is placed very carefully on the outline. This is very difficult. If you swipe the cursor across the outline, the blue outline flashes briefly.

The button responds when you press it,

Just checked with my test cloud device: v04.04.00-308. Same problem. Mouse focus isn’t indicated properly.

BUG. Or design?  If the latter, it’s not good UI practice.

Settings|Utilities|System Configuration|Import File has the same problem.