Removing metathumb (WD unnecessary files)

I used a friends WD box, plugged my 8TB hard drive in. Now I have over a million new files created to work with WD that’s i don’t want. I can’t bearly fit everything on this hard drive as is. Can anyone tell me how to extract everything installed by WD on jun 30? I once tried to sort a 4TB by date and it broke the operating system. No idea how to even start. I have 100,000s of folders and this virus is in everything! Probably 50 plus hours to remove all individually. Please help.

Well, if you have access to a Linux box (or run a Live distro on your PC) you can do a FIND / Delete action like:

cd (to the root of your drive)
find . -name '*.metathumb' -exec rm {} \;

You can do similar things if they’re all in directories of the same name: For example, if all the garbage files happen to be in stub folders named “.wdtv” or something like that,

find . -type d -name '.wdtv' -exec rm -Rf {} \;

The latter example will litter your screen with errors as it will try to delete things that it already deleted recursively, but it gets the job done.

It’d be wise to do both commands WITHOUT the -exec rm and stuff after it just to see what it will be deleting so you can be sure.