Remove the VCD from my drive

I have bought a WD My Passport Essential last saturday and I am highly disappointed that WD does not provide a reasonable way to remove all the extra garbage at this moment.

I don’t want any software at all, just an external disk. My biggest problem is not that WD used more than 600 megabytes for filling it with ■■■■, my biggest problem is that (when I choose not to install any software) it is not possible to use this disk on various computers without being bothered about extra (useless) virtual CD drives and hardware installation wizards. I understand there is a complicated way to get rid of this but that method is far from perfect as well.

If I had known all this before I would _not_ have purchased this disk !

@Western Digital: can you tell us when the promised removal tool will be released ?

1 Like

I just bought 2 500GB Passport disks and I m going to return these disks now. Too bad I didnt read thsi tread before I bought the disks, now I have too useless disks.

Im connecting the disks to a ASUS NSLU2 and need to be able to format the disks with the ext3 filesystem, however I cant repartition the disk at all because the firmware protects a part of the disk which fdisk of linus does not allow.

So I was very content with my passport 320 without any crappy software but I need to buy another brand now. WD please do something about it as I prefer WD for reliablity.

1 Like

guppie wrote:

I just bought 2 500GB Passport disks and I m going to return these disks now. Too bad I didnt read thsi tread before I bought the disks, now I have too useless disks.

Corporate WD, I am about to accept this solution since you are refusing to provide another option.

What do you think everyone,  Shall I mark this thread closed by accepting Guppie’s solution of returning the drives?

Count me as yet another unsatisfied customer.

In the past I have purchased no less than 5 WD external drives over the years. I have always been satisfied by the quality of these items.

Last week I have bought a WD 500 GB external drive and discoverd the problem of the VCD, unfortunately before reading the saga on this forum. I have disabled the VCD following the instructions on one of the posts here, but I don’t intend to fiddle with re-partitioning the disc, since I fear that something in the firmware is going to create troubles. The other subjet for disappointment was the new USB mini connector, no longer compatible with all the rest of my devices (cameras, external disks etc.). Yet another cable to bring around!

Give me back my 700MB!

In any case, this is the last time I buy a WD disks, I’m very sorry about that.

1 Like

Unbelievable. Not just the fact you’ve made this simple, external HD a useless piece of ■■■■ in the sense you cannot freely connect to whatever you want, when you want but you have even taken part of the HD space that I HAVE PAID FOR BY DOING SO!

Anyone with integrity, half a brain cell and although I doubt it, some balls should do something about this as you as a company are being shamed with this ■■■■.

Sort it out and sack the degenerate who thought “duh hey boss, how about we go use some [deleted] on the drives, AND take up the megabytes that they’ve already paid for AND not even tell them until they’ve already bought our product!”…“great idea, have a raise”.

[deleted]

1 Like

guppie wrote:

@Guppie.  I agree with you.  WD Corporate has proven there is no concern for this problem and we MUST RETURN THE DRIVES.  I am going to accept your solution as WD can not and will not provide a better solution.

To everyone that reads this post with the same problems…  RETURN THESE WORTHLESS DRIVES AND BUY SOMETHING ELSE.

Thanks for nothing WD

The only way I am able to get around the read/write issue was to create a folder within the root directory of the drive, and then just drop everything into the folder. I will only get a prompt to just install the  VCD which I do not accept. VCD itself does not show up but the drive can be written to and read from without any need to go through VCD. I use this drive on XP, Vista and 7 machines, and VCD does not pop up anymore, but I still do not have the full 320 GB, which is sad.

guppie wrote:

Im connecting the disks to a ASUS NSLU2 and need to be able to format the disks with the ext3 filesystem, however I cant repartition the disk at all because the firmware protects a part of the disk which fdisk of linus does not allow.

After reading this, I plugged my drive into a Linux box (Ubuntu 9.04) and tried to format it. Since you said fdisk failed, I tried parted. It worked just fine. I was able to partition the drive the way I wanted. Then, I could format the partitions with ext3 and use the drives under Linux. The virtual CD didn’t give me any trouble at all. If you’re having problems, maybe using parted instead of fdisk might work for you. Granted, parted doesn’t support ext3 (at least not my version), but if you repartition with parted, then use mkfs to format, you can get ext3. For that matter, if you just want a single partition, skip parted all together and run makefs to reformat it as ext3.

For those people who want to use it without the virtual CD, if you run the Virtual CD Manager (located on the Virtual CD), it will let you hide the virtual CD partition. From that point, when you plug it into any computer, it looks just like a regular USB drive. Of course, you might want to copy the Virtual CD Manager off the drive before you hide it, just in case you want to change it back later.

It’s true that this won’t free up the space, but I’m not surprised. Getting rid of the virtual CD partition would mean re-partitioning the drive. That means all data would be wiped out. Sure, you may not care if it’s a new drive with no data on it, but you know somebody would have run the utility, removed the partition, then complained that all their pictures and documents were gone. Even with warnings, somebody would accidentally hit yes and lose their data.

Honestly, though, I can’t see 668 MB being a big deal in a drive this size. Even with a “small” 320 GB drive, that’s less than a quarter of a percent of the capacity (about 0.20%). It will store 478 ISO files instead of 479. It will store 63,866 audio files instead of 64,000. It will store 456 videos instead of 457. If somebody had a 668 MB media player, you’d probably laugh at how small it was.

If you want to look at it financially, consider this. If this drive cost you $100 and the price were lowered by the amount of space you’re losing, it would wind up costing you $99.80. If you have a 1 TB drive, it’s even less of a difference, at 6 cents for every $100 it cost you.

Sure, it would be nice to get all the space, but you’re only talking about pennies worth of storage. If 668 MB is going to keep you from storing what you need to on the drive, “you’re gonna need a bigger drive” anyway.

I agree with nas-t that the amount of space lost is insignificant.  However, a major complaint from me is the new proprietary usb connector.  I keep wondering why would WD change from a standard mini-usb to this other connector.  The only logical conclusion is that it must be required for the security suite to function properly.  If so, I understand.  If not, [Deleted]?

The other potential issue for which I haven’t tested yet is the ability (or lack thereof) to make the drive bootable.  I’ve been doing this for years with WD Passport drives to create OS backups for easy windows restoration and disaster recovery.  I’m thinking now maybe this won’t work with the new embedded firmware.

If, in fact, the software is embedded in the interface, then removing the drive from the enclosure and connecting it to a computer via SATA should allow you to access every bit of space on the drive.  If, however, the software is embedded in the drive itself, then we are all SOL.  I’ve been trying to find a 1TB 2.5" drive for my laptop, but the supply seems to be limited.  I assume because WD is putting them all in the new usb drives.  Maybe there are two different 1TB 2.5" drives from WD- one for usb and the other for laptops.  I’m thinking about cracking mine open to have a look.  Goodbye warranty :stuck_out_tongue:

Good news.  I was able to make the drive bootable and can use it to collect images.  The secure partition/virtual CD is intact when I view it in Windows, so I assume that’s embedded in the controller somehow.  

Hi, I bought a My Passport Essentials from OW. Came home and read this thread and others.

I couldn’t find out how to completely delete its s/w…

Tried it out in a few computers and sometimes it didn’t recognise the drive but would the vcd thats on it.

Not what I wanted.

I went back to the shop, the new s/man said swap it over for a WD Elements 500GB.

I didn’t even get close to asking let alone demanding a refund etc.

It’s not as ‘sexy’ and a bit thicker, but it works and is bare bones (no crapware). $50 less too.

That’s why I buy from the shop. When I had a legitimate issue, no freight, and no problem.

In this instance I actually saved money, but that’s not my point.

Just my 2 cents.

Take care and thanks to Sugar at OW.

btw I’ve saved stuff manually, and also used Vista’s back up. I can do both I have so much space :slight_smile: for now :/…

spidermatt67 wrote:

I agree with nas-t that the amount of space lost is insignificant.  However, a major complaint from me is the new proprietary usb connector.  I keep wondering why would WD change from a standard mini-usb to this other connector.  The only logical conclusion is that it must be required for the security suite to function properly.  If so, I understand.  If not, [deleted]?

The cable isn’t proprietary. It’s a micro USB and is pretty standard. It even fits my Nokia phone.

NAS-T wrote: > * * *

spidermatt67 wrote:

proprietary usb connector.  I keep wondering why would WD change from a standard mini-usb to this other connector.  The only logical conclusion is that it must be required for the security suite to function properly.  If so, I understand.  If not, [deleted]?

The cable isn’t proprietary. It’s a micro USB and is pretty standard. It even fits my Nokia phone.

Ok so now we know of at least two devices in the world that use the micro connector.  The point is there didn’t appear to be a logical reason for WD to change from the “standard” mini connector that’s been used in the Passport line since inception.  I’ve since discovered the reason for the change and the nastly little secret.   I disassembled my drive and imagine my surprise when I didn’t find a nice little 1TB SATA drive sitting there for me to use as I please (in my laptop for example).  Instead I find a drive void of any SATA connector at all with a micro USB inteface made into the drive itself.   That answers the question about the virtual drive firmware location as well. 

Micro USB is going to become the new standard. The older style mini usb adapter is on its way out. Almost all new cell phones, including all Blackberry devices are going to the new micro plug. I was pleasantly surprised when I saw my new WD drive had a micro usb jack on it… I no longer have to carry both types of USB cables with me at all times. Micro is where it’s at… :slight_smile:

Now if they would only release a firmware that permanently removed the VCD partition off MY drive… we paid for it, we should be able to do what we want with it.

1 Like

Great thread. Bad Passport design.

I agree that the amount of space we’re talking about is insignificant. I get that. It’s true. But the complaint is legitimate.

We should be able to format / partition any hard drive any way we see fit. WD has invaded my space. Space I paid for. Sure, in practice the space is insignificant. The software is a hassle, and I didn’t pay for a hassle. I paid for a straight-up external hard drive. On principle, the passport with “helpful software” installed is a bad move.

I’m returning the passport device I purchased yesterday. It sounds like the 500GB is free of junk and fully partitionable. If so, I might get that.

Cheers

1 Like

This is very annoying…  Like others i purchased the drive and discovered the software afterwards…  not what i wanted at all.   Usable space being taken up aside,   i intended to use this drive as the recording destination for my usb enabled PVR…  BUT,   as the 700mb partition is the first seen by the pvr,  and is under the minimum 1gb size,  it is ignored,  and wont pick up on the second partition.  i tried disabling the smaller partition as per this sites instructions,  but the pvr still doesnt recognise it.  I have tested the pvr with a friends basic drive and a thumb drive,  and it works fine…

So this drive is completely useless to me…   Im over it,  and will take it back to officeworks for my money back asap…  

Its a serious flaw in WDs thinking if people only use these on pcs or macs…  new car radios,  pvrs,  dvd players,  media players,  consoles  etc take usb these days…  talk about a  ‘design’ flaw… 

2 Likes

They also aren’t considering that people might be using their drives in a corporate environment. A software pop-up every time they plug the drive into a new machine? Makes IT look like they don’t know what they’re doing. We’re not going to let that go out to clients.

The drive was purchased to ghost machines but the VCD partition makes it useless because you can’t boot off of the drive. Now we have to go through the fun of exchanging it with another drive. Good thing this project isn’t time sensitive.

The hardware is beautiful and I didn’t want to part with it but it was a paperweight to me. Good job destroying brand loyalty.

1 Like

Folks,

I work for the Navy and our entire intranet in managed by NMCI (Navy Marine Corp Intranet). There are certain security mandates in place which do not allow the use of USB Flash drives, but users with computer CAC access are able to use External HD’s as long as they are plug and play and contain NO .EXE programs or .BAT files. They perceive it as an attack against the network when a non IT user is executing these kind of files. So, we have to clean the drive and re-format with NTFS, before asigning it to a user, so they can plug it into their NMCI asigned PC or travel to another NMCI PC anywhere and also be able to use the Ext HD…

So you can see where I am going with this, this Plug and play Virtual CD Flash drive is perceived as an ATTACK on the DOD system…

The NAVY has purchased 100’s of these drives, if there is no solution for this, Then we are going to have to start returning them.

Please E-mail me ASAP

Thank You,

[deleted for privacy]

2 Likes

What a joke this is!

I was a happy owner of several WD external disks. That was before I bought the 1TB Passport! Can anyone give me ONE reason for not making this bloatware optional!?

If it hadn’t been for the fact that I bought it out of my country I would have returned it first thing.

I don’t care how insignificant the lost space might be, that’s not the point. I will never use any of the pre-installed stuff and now I have to see this annoying pop-up every time I connect the drive! I tried to re-format the drive using Partition Magic, but I got an error message saying the drive cannot be accessed during boot-up.

It doesn’t seem like anyone from WD is paying much attention to the forum, but couldn’t someone just let us know if this will be fixed via firmware updates or if should throw away the drive and look for another brand.

Yes…me too.  Very frustrating as a multiple WD HDD user.

Useless for my requirements as is.

WD…are you listening?

I connected my WD external 500gb passport to a linux machine (ubuntu) and formatted it there. I then put it back under windows, formatted to NTFS under disk management, and I can’t see any VCD volumes on it. I don’t know how many of you have linux around, but maybe your friends do. Maybe this is even possible using a MAC, I don’t know. Give it a try.