Removal of NFS support

The My Cloud EX4 1.03.39 firmware release has over 200+ adjustments to address feedback received from our customers.   However, as we finished the integration we found that the NFS feature didn’t meet our rigorous testing requirements.  We decided to release 1.03.39 without NFS to address the broader customer base immediately and we’re looking into adding NFS support in a future release.  For those customers who were using NFS and need access to the older firmware; please contact WD Customer Support.

Below is the contact information for WD’s Support. You can contact them either by phone or email.

Contact WD
http://support.wdc.com/country/index.asp?lang=en

1 Like

Thanks for that update, Bill_S.

Thanks for the information, Bill. if I had known that, I wouldn’t have turned my EX4 into a useless brick.

I sent a support email to WD, requesting the older file, so I can roll back this bad update. What a pain.

Thank you for the update Bill.  I wish I could say your words comfort me, however it’s apparent WD isn’t interested in supporting NFS.

I work in big tech (product development no less) and these decisions are not driven by customer satisfaction, but rather cost containment. The reality is that WD doesn’t feel that the backlash around NFS removal will trump the cost/time savings obtained by removing this element of the EX system and the hours tech support WD provides around NFS related issues.

Once you remove a subset of code (aka service) and pull it from the development chain, it often takes a much greater amount of work to re-integrate it down the line (more cost) so I will NOT be holding my breath that NFS will come back.

Like many others on this email chain I have already contacted WD support and will expect a full refund.  I am waiting to here back from them and have already started to look at other arrays with NFS support.

Thank you for providing an update and it’s unfortunate that WD has made this decision.  My NFS has been working flawlessly since I’ve had the array, however I refuse to not be able to take advantage bugfixes/features of future firmware updates while I am currently under warranty because WD wants to make a business decision that will negativly affect it’s customers.

Once again, thank you for the update.  Best of luck everyone  =[

I can’t believe you removed the NFS support. What are you thinking about , WD team! I would like to know if I can refund ~ How stupid it is to make the decision on the latest firmware!

OK, now I am confused. Sometime overnight I was able to reconnect to the folders on my EX4 as if nothing ever happened. I still have 1.03.39 on it, and I didn’t see any notices about updates.

Anyone else experience this?

Patjade - you sure you use NFS to begin with? Nothing’s changed.

Patjade wrote:

Thanks for the information, Bill. if I had known that, I wouldn’t have turned my EX4 into a useless brick.

I sent a support email to WD, requesting the older file, so I can roll back this bad update. What a pain.

Sorry for the delay.  Support should be able to sort you out, though. 

Thanks, Habskilla and Cybernut!

Finally found time to try and install yesterday - everything seems to be working okay with the Win machines. The EX4 is still as slow as it was before, but at least the update didn’t break anything I was using… keeping my fingers crossed for everyone else that NFS will be back soon…

Since I was the first to complain so fast then I should also be as swift in my apology for  my rant. After tinkering with the NAS since the dreaded 1.03.39 update I have found there are ways to use the device as efficiently as in the past. It just takes a bit of observation, trial and error and tinkering under settings/network/network service and settings/network/windows services dialogues. The removal of NFS support is not the end of the world and it may just be a thing of the past with enhancements such as Samba, FTP and many other methods. Again let me apologize for my hasty assumption concerning removal of NFS support.

1 Like