Remote backup stopped working

It backed up fine on the 22nd, 23rd, and 24th. On the 25th (today), it failed. Running it manually fails. Deleting the job and creating a new one fails. The weird thing is there are two other remote backup jobs from the first EX2 to the second EX2, they both run after the job that’s failing, and they both work.

Following events are generated on your WDMyCloudEX2 WDMyCloudEX2One.

Event title:Remote Backup error

Event description:An error occurred during your remote backup job name:  JimCrossBackup, to the destination device: WDMyCloudEX2One, on the share: Jim/WUQ244301993_WDMyCloudEX2One/JimCrossBackup/.

Severity:warning

Event code:1400

Event time:01-25-2015 04:04:19 PM

Firmware version:       1.05.30

Now all of the jobs are failing.

I created brand-new jobs and fired them off. They’re at least running. However, I started them at ~3pm today, and they have only copied two of the backup files. Each of the files is ~80G. I’m on a gigabit network. Why is it taking so long?

They’re still running. I started them at 1pm on the 25th. They are now 70% done. It is 12 hours later. There are three files of about 70GB each. This makes no sense.

i wonder is something will change if a reboot is performed.

how long did it take to copy in the first place ?

is the copy via internet or ethernet and what devices are between this 2 NAS ?

It’s by local gigabit LAN. They’re both plugged into a segment switch, which is plugged into a router. Total cable length is about 8’. The backups finally finished, but they took hours. First time they took about 30 minutes. Amount of data hasn’t changed in any significant way (a few MB).

Some more info:

The drives are configured spanning, not RAID. (I need the full 8T.)

The slowdown happens if two backups, of two different shares, run at the same time. If they run serially, they take 30 minutes each, which is what I’d expect. If they overlap, they slow to a crawl. The backups go to two different shares.

A -> ACrossBackup

B -> BCrossBackup

Is there a way to configure remote backup jobs so they are in series (one waits for the other)?

One other thing: I have the backups configured to synchronize, not overwrite. But that shouldn’t matter. With a rolling series of three backups from each of our PCs to the shares on the first EX2, it should go like this:

Day 1:

1am, Jim PC -> EX2 A -> JimBackup share, backup 1

2am, Lisa PC -> EX2 A -> LisaBackup share, backup 1

3am, EX2 A -> JimBackup share, backup 1 -> EX2 B -> JimCrossBackup share, backup 1

4am, EX2 A -> LisaBackup share, backup 1 -> EX2 B -> LisaCrossBackup share, backup 1

Day 2:

1am, Jim PC -> EX2 A -> JimBackup share, backup 2

2am, Lisa PC -> EX2 A -> LisaBackup share, backup 2

3am, EX2 A -> JimBackup share, backup 2 -> EX2 B -> JimCrossBackup share, backup 2

4am, EX2 A -> LisaBackup share, backup 2 -> EX2 B -> LisaCrossBackup share, backup 2

Day 3:

1am, Jim PC -> EX2 A -> JimBackup share, backup 3

2am, Lisa PC -> EX2 A -> LisaBackup share, backup 3

3am, EX2 A -> JimBackup share, backup 3 -> EX2 B -> JimCrossBackup share, backup 3

4am, EX2 A -> LisaBackup share, backup 3 -> EX2 B -> LisaCrossBackup share, backup 3

Day 4:

1am, Jim PC -> EX2 A -> JimBackup share, backup 4

2am, Lisa PC -> EX2 A -> LisaBackup share, backup 4

3am, EX2 A -> JimBackup share, backup 4 -> EX2 B -> JimCrossBackup share, backup 4, EX2 B -> JimCrossBackup share, purge backup 1

4am, EX2 A -> LisaBackup share, backup 4 -> EX2 B -> LisaCrossBackup share, backup 4, EX2 B -> LisaCrossBackup share, purge backup 1

etc. for backups 5-N, where after each new backup the oldest one is purged.

The strangest thing is that I watched the first cross backup for a while at 1am, and it was flying–500M/sec.

So why would the first one finish in 30 minutes, and the second–which runs after the first one finishes–take hours, particularly when the file sizes are almost identical?

Can someone explain the difference between Copy and Synchronize? When Copy is selected, does it overwrite files that are already there, or skip them? If it skips existing files, and only adds new files, how is that different from Synchronize? And if Copy is selecte

jshowalter wrote:

Can someone explain the difference between Copy and Synchronize? When Copy is selected, does it overwrite files that are already there, or skip them? If it skips existing files, and only adds new files, how is that different from Synchronize? And if Copy is selecte

Hi, I too am using the Remote backup feature on my EX2.  

Copy:  Will identify files that have been updated since the last backup, and update the destination device with the most recent file copy.  If you delete any files on our Source drive (or move files from one folder to another), those files will NOT be deleted using the COPY feature.  Moved files will be found in both folders (original and new folders) on the destination device after the backup job has completed.

Synchronize:  Updates files that have changed AND moves/deletes files from the destination device that were moved/deleted on the source device.

Please note:  When you delete a file from your EX2 source device, there is no way to get it back if you ever need it.  I tested several scenarios trying to find deleted files in the trash bin, but they were never found.

I use the COPY feature so I can have a way to recover files that may have been moved or deleted by accident.

I hope this helps.