Remote access was fine and now not

All of a sudden I am unable to access my device remotly through any device, how could this be?

Nothing has changed and when I got home last night I thought I would need to reboot the device, but it was all fine and the WD app was back up running (on wifi).

Today I am away and again unable to access the device, so it is obviously an issue accessing it outside of the wifi network.

I have been having massive issues since the firmware upgrade and was going to return, but no I said I will wait for a new upgrade and stick with it, this maybe the final straw!

Any ideas why all of a sudden I cannot access it remotely, when nothing has changed and it was working fine?

I’m having the same problem. Everything on my network looks great and the dashboard states that remote accesses it working. Can’t connect using computer at work and over mobile network either. Problem with MyCloud on their end??

I’m hoping you’re right, I think this may have happened once before but not for this long.

Right, I’ve come home and rebooted but still unable to access on my iPhone using 3G or using the computer via web access. I can clearly sthe device online and use it locally.

Do you have a fixed IP address assigned to your device? This is highly recommended…

Try to remove the device from the WD apps then generate a new access code from the NAS UI, and re-enter the device setup in the app.

EtujB wrote:

All of a sudden I am unable to access my device remotly through any device, how could this be?

Nothing has changed and when I got home last night I thought I would need to reboot the device, but it was all fine and the WD app was back up running (on wifi).

Today I am away and again unable to access the device, so it is obviously an issue accessing it outside of the wifi network.

I have been having massive issues since the firmware upgrade and was going to return, but no I said I will wait for a new upgrade and stick with it, this maybe the final straw!

Any ideas why all of a sudden I cannot access it remotely, when nothing has changed and it was working fine?

EtujB,

We have passed this alone to support.

I am having the same problem.

Have only recently set up the Mycloud and was working perfectly for about 4 weeks.

Now all of a sudden I no longer have access to the device remotely. I can still access it over wifi on the network.

It comes back with the following : Remote Access Denied: Access to the Mycloud has been disabled.

I know that WD had some problems with remote access early on this year, could it be the same problem

I was able to get mine workinga again. I rebooted my device. Well, tried to reboot, it hung like always, pulled power and then powered it up again. Remote still did not work. I then disabled cloud access. Waited a minute or two, enabled cloud access and then it worked again. No clue why. Hey, I’m back up and running. Now if they could only fix the god awful performace!!!

Thanks galegovision,

I tried your suggestion of turning off the remote access and turning it back on and it seems to have worked.

Hi

This can happen if you have a dynamic ip from your internet service provider and your internet service is interrupted for any reason and when the service resumes you have been allocated a different ip.

if this is the case the easiest way to correct it is to log into the MYCloud dashboard from your home network and navigate to Settings/General and switch off remote access for a few seconds then switch it on again.

unfortunately this cannot be done remotely however I believe there is a thread on this forum where a user was trying to create a script to let the WD MYCloud check the exteral ip and reset access if different from previous

Hope this helps

Tel

If you have a dynamic address from your IP, the NAS knows how to update the WD Servers to keep the actual WAN address updated. 

To minimize the complications, I recommend you (a) set up a fixed IP address on your home network and use your router to do so, (b) set up port forwarding manually on your router and your NAS instead of relying only on UPnP.

1 Like

OK I have done all that has been suggested, but even after disabling and then re-enabling remote connection I cannot connect remotely. What I find most odd is that yes this was happening every so often, but now it is a daily occurance that remote access fails.