Remote access help please

Ok, it was my understanding that as soon as you connect your drive to the LAN network it would be sooo easy to set up remote access…etc.  No mention was made in the videos I saw about the need for a windows 7 / windows vista, or the like and mionet. So can someone tell me if there is a way to remotely access my MB Live without the need for a windows based computer and mionet?  Please give me details or point me to a good step by step guide on how to do it.  Thank you for your time

what exactly do you want to do?

transfer files? or something else?

For files - there is possibility to connect using ftp or sftp protocol or you can put files on your drives www server.

For “much more things”  - ssh access is possible.

jazzymood wrote:

what exactly do you want to do?

transfer files? or something else?

For files - there is possibility to connect using ftp or sftp protocol or you can put files on your drives www server.

For “much more things”  - ssh access is possible.

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, for the most part I would like to be able to at least get a copy of any file I happen to need/want onto the device I’m connecting to my home computer with.  Also, if possible, remote streaming of music only, don’t have the bandwidth for movies  :-).  Oh, and I’m going going to need some details please concerning your acronyms and the methods you’re suggesting.  I’m very new to the remote access concept.  Thanks for the speedy reply.

Anybody?? Some help with my question brought out in my first post please.  Thanks.

Actually I dont know your knowledge level of linux systems (My Book Live runs Debian Lenny) and afraid to suggest anything that could broke your NAS warranty. WD seems to not be happy about custom modifications on their drives (could lead to possible problems when updating firmware).

Ok, understood, and thanks for at least trying.  I wouldn’t want to do anything to screw up the drive or my warranty.  Oh and, I have hardly any knowledge of Linux, so stopping here would prob. be a good idea.

I hope WDC does not remove SSH access. It’s true about having to be very careful so as not to make the MBL malfunction or even brick it so it’ll never turn on. Because of SSH access I’ve managed to make very subtle alterations. Mainly to make the FTP service more resilient to brute firce dictionary attacks and remove Public from the FTP service.

I’ve also, after very carefully studying the scripts, have made the Public share read-only without breaking the dashboard.

Then there is the Idle3 issue that’s been fixed (Thanks jazzymood!).   :slight_smile:

I quite like the MBL now.