I have My Book Essential that comes with WD Smartware software:
After I press the “back up” tab it remains in “READY TO PERFORM BACK UP”
and remains static and does not back-up automatically (as it did before) and I cannot give the commant “Run Back up” (I did not have to before) but only the button “Pause back up”.
I have the 184.108.40.206 version…
I don’t know if its connected (because it worked until now) that I havn’t performed the update, and this is because the instructions (to follow*) are complicated (and therefore a big put-off). I am afraid to lose everything due update.
There are two steps to this update. You’ll find detailed instructions below.
Step 1: Update the drive firmware (recommended) WHAT IS THIS?
Step 2: Update the WD SmartWare software.
IMPORTANT: The following precautions should be taken before installing the firmware update.
- Before updating the firmware on your My Book or My Passport drive, make sure you have an additional copy of your important information. WHAT? ANOTHER BACK-UP DRIVE TO BACK-UP???
- Do not disconnect your My Book or My Passport drive during the firmware update process, as this could potentially render the drive unusable.
- All AntiVirus software MUST be disabled. (THIS IS FRIGHTENING)
- All Anti-Spyware software MUST be disabled. (… " …)
- ANY and ALL programs that would require drive access during the update MUST be disabled . WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?
- IF THE PROBLEM I HAVE CANNOT BE RESOLVED WOULD IT BE BETTER TO USE ANOTHER BACK-UP SOFTWARE?
- Thank you in anticipation…