Release non 512-byte sector emulated firmware for WD?EARS

Just drop a note here:

Fortunately i found the informations about 4k / 512B emulation issues. In search of new Firmware with 4k presentation to the OS i ended up here.

This prevented me to order 4 2TB WD Discs today for my new FreeBSD sever.

+1

Seems like a pretty trivial exercise in creating a firmware for this issue.

Had I known about this issue I wouldnā€™t have wasted my money on 8 x WD20EARS

+1

Bought three 2TB EARS drives to use with a home FreeBSD server without realizing issues. Left wishing I bought another brand.

Seriously should be handled by a jumper setting.Ā 

I registered exclusively to state that I wonā€™t be buying anymore WD products until a non-emulated firmware is released, and given that itā€™s been 6 months since this request was made, possibly not even then. Iā€™m back to Seagate from this point forward, their drives have had issues but at least theyā€™ve put out firmware updates to resolve them.

Thanks for making me spend hours tearing my hair out wondering what was causing my abysmal ZFS performance WD, I really appreciate it.

Yes.

Please remove the ugly hacks so we can get better than 10MB/s write performanceā€¦

Agreed. The current implementation is a failure. The drives must not lie about their sector size.

I sadly ended up with two EADS disks which emulate 512 byte sectors. Tracking down this issue has been one of the most frustrating computing experiences of my life. Definitely will be avoiding Western Digital from here on out, thanks.

i agree with all people here.

Iā€™m a FreeBSD/ZFS user.

I owned a WD20EARS used on my Windows 7 PC until recently, when I decided to build a NAS box.

I got 3 x WD20EARS and put them in a new box running FreeNAS.

Since the drives are reporting both logical and physical sector size of 512B (where the phyiscal sector size should be 4096B) the created GPT partitions are misaligned and performance suffers.

Dear WD, please do one of the following:

1. Release a firmware reporting the correct phyiscal sector size

2. Release a firmware enabling a jumper to report the correct phyiscal sector size

3. Release a thorough documentation of how to manually align all kinds of partitions on different disk layout under all flavours/strands/distros of all OSes.

Me too. Just bought two EARS with Ā with 00MVWB0 firmware and Iā€™m thinking of returning before unsealing themā€¦

I purchased one of the EARS Drives to test for a Linux box with the intent to buy more. I will now be returning the drive. The 512 emulation makes it entirely to difficult to to use these drives. Although it can be done it takes way to much time and effort to setup what otherwise would be a simple process. A simple 512 emulation jumper would suffice. I would have no problem with these drives if it was not for the emulation. I own a computer repair center and will be advising against these drives and will no longer be purchasing WD Products due to the and other past experiences with WD drives.

Yes, please get to it. There is no reason we should suffer such performance losses just because you want to play it safe. It is the second decade of the twenty first century. Let us have the technology you promised and not some backward compatibility bullā€¦Ā 

+1

Yes also very important for me, I just purchased 8 drives for use in a ZFS system.

+1 PLEASE. canā€™t be that difficult. I am a little disappointed.

I support this idea, please hear as out, it canā€™t be that hard.

+1 for me too.

Using ZFS with OpenIndiana.

What is that WD is waiting for to release a proper firmware for this disk?

It is unacceptable we have sub-performing disks because you wanted to protect users of a last century OS from potential incompatibility, by providing a firmware that is basically sending b******t information to the OS.

PLEASE release a non 512-bytes sector emulated firmware quickly now, to keep your customers satisfied.

I bought WD since years, and I am really considering changing my mind because of this.

Count me in!!!

dont wait any longer. give us that real firmware.

Please let us know what is going on. This by far the top idea for the Internal-Drive-Ideas.