Regarding link to MyCloud from your XP SP3 machine

Continuing the discussion from New User - Cannot find MyCloud on Windows XP sp3 "My Network", but MyCloud Software sees it:

I’ve had a few weeks of other work that has kept me from returning to this matter of finding my files from my Windows XP sp3 system. So far, you are the only response I’ve had that appears positive. My question to you is, do you remember how you targeted your data on the MyCloud drive? Specifically, do you remember how you set up your UNC path?

Well, since I’m sitting at my XP machine at the moment, I’ll see if I can find the relevant settings.

Open ‘My Network Places’
Run ‘Set up a Home or Small Office Network
set computer name & description
set WorkgroupName
enable file & printer sharing (I think: I can’t find a way of interrogating this setting). It may be part of the Windows Firewall exceptions, as I appear to have this exception set.

Run ‘File and Printer Troubleshooting
“I want to use a shared folder that is on another computer, but the folder isn’t listed in My Network Places.”

Sound familiar?

Specifically, do you remember how you set up your UNC path?

No. I don’t think I did anything clever in that respect (I wouldn’t know how, since I’ve never had to play with any of the network settings on my PC).

All my mapped drives have UNCs of the form:

\\<DeviceName>\<ShareName>

That’s it.

In ‘My Network Places’:
I see the two ‘computers’ which are the MyCloud Dashboard and Twonky Server UI.
I see my CD drive as two entries: file and audio disc
I see a folder and a shared folder icon for ‘Documents’ (that I never use…)
I see all the mapped drives for my MyClouds.
I see a shared folder on another PC.

I don’t see any unmapped references to my MyClouds: I have had to map all my shares as drives; that’s fine by me, and, in fact, how I prefer to use it; I very rarelt look at ‘My Network Places’.

I don’t use ANY WD Software to access the MyClouds on my XP and Win7 machines: everything is done using mapped drives to make them transparent to all programs, and FreeFileSync for backup/sync.

To map a drive, I just open File Explorer, hit Tools/Map Network Drive/Browse, then navigate down the hierarchy:

My Network Places\Entire Network\Microsoft Windows Network\WorkgroupName\MyCloudName\ShareName

and then continue with the mapping.

Do you not see your drive under WorkgroupName?

If you can think of other setting for me to interrograte, I’m happy to do so, provided you tell me how to interrogate them…

Thank you for the quick response! I’ve done much of that, but not mapping a network drive. I can try that next and see what happens.
Did you set up anything on your drive before you mapped it, like setting some of your folders as private or shared?
I’m wondering if I need to undo some of that first. In the meantime, I will try this out and let you know how things go. Thanks again for your comments.

from your XP SP3 machine

cpt_paranoia

May 10

Well, since I’m sitting at my XP machine at the moment, I’ll see if I can find the relevant settings.

Open ‘My Network Places’
Run ‘Set up a Home or Small Office Network’
set computer name & description
set WorkgroupName
enable file & printer sharing (I think: I can’t find a way of interrogating this setting). It may be part of the Windows Firewall exceptions, as I appear to have this exception set.

Run ‘File and Printer Troubleshooting’
“I want to use a shared folder that is on another computer, but the folder isn’t listed in My Network Places.”

Sound familiar?

Specifically, do you remember how you set up your UNC path?

No. I don’t think I did anything clever in that respect (I wouldn’t know how, since I’ve never had to play with any of the network settings on my PC).

All my mapped drives have UNCs of the form:

\<ShareName>

That’s it.

In ‘My Network Places’:
I see the two ‘computers’ which are the MyCloud Dashboard and Twonky Server UI.
I see my CD drive as two entries: file and audio disc
I see a folder and a shared folder icon for ‘Documents’ (that I never use…)
I see all the mapped drives for my MyClouds.
I see a shared folder on another PC.

I don’t see any unmapped references to my MyClouds: I have had to map all my shares as drives; that’s fine by me, and, in fact, how I prefer to use it; I very rarelt look at ‘My Network Places’.

I don’t use ANY WD Software to access the MyClouds on my XP and Win7 machines: everything is done using mapped drives to make them transparent to all programs, and FreeFileSync for backup/sync.

To map a drive, I just open File Explorer, hit Tools/Map Network Drive/Browse, then navigate down the hierarchy:

My Network Places\Entire Network\Microsoft Windows Network\WorkgroupName\MyCloudName\ShareName

and then continue with the mapping.

Do you not see your drive under WorkgroupName?

If you can think of other setting for me to interrograte, I’m happy to do so, provided you tell me how to interrogate them…

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond

To stop receiving notifications for this particular topic, click here. To unsubscribe from these emails, change your user preferences

Yes, because at first I had trouble mapping Private shares having already mapped the Public share. Windows doesn’t need credentials for the Public share, so doesn’t ask for them. The Private shares do need credentials, but Windows doesn’t allow mixed credentials when mapping multiple network drives.

The answer is to unmap all network drives, and then re-map them, forcing the use of credentials by selecting ‘connect as a different user’, and entering your MyCloud user credentials for Private and Public shares.

Good afternoon. I’ve spent most of the last two hours “playing” with my MyCloud setup, and I’ve hit a snag I cannot seem to get around. I’m trying to map the MyCloud device. I’ve renamed the drive as “asweirton” through the dashboard (I did this when I first got the drive). The particular address for the drive is 10.1.10.13. I want to map the drive to the letter “X:”.

When I named “asweirton” (renamed from admin), I assigned it a password, let’s say “MExxx”. When I sign on through the dashboard, I access “asweirton” with password “MExxx”, and I get into all the admin functions.

So, when I go to Map Network Drive, (mind you that WDMYCLOUD does not show up on my network at all), I select the letter I want “X:”, and then when I search for the network drive.

I can enter “http://10.1.10.13/asweirton”. After a few seconds, I get a window asking for user and password. I enter “asweirton” and put in my password “MExxx”. It doesn’t take the password, but now shows my user name as “WDMYCLOUD\asweirton” and asks me for the password again. When I enter the password, nothing happens - it comes back to the same page.

Once again, it appears that my computer finds the drive (it changes the name to “WDMYCLOUD”). Why won’t it take the password?

Any thoughts?

Have you renamed the drive, or have you renamed the admin user? In the second quote above, you are logging on to the MyCloud Dashboard as Administrator named ‘asweirton’. You are not connecting to a Share.

Or have you named both the drive and the admin user ‘asweirton’?
To rename/check the drive, use the Dashboard Settings/General/Device Name setting.
To rename/check the admin user name, use the Dashboard Users/<admin user>/User Name setting.

The fact that your computer is presenting ‘WDMYCLOUD’ as the drive name suggests you have not renamed it successfully, or your local DNS server has not refreshed its name table; reboot the router?

Why are you using http? You need to specify a UNC. So, for your example, if you want to connect to the ‘asweirton’ Private Share, you would select:

\\<ip address>\asweirton

If you have renamed your drive to ‘asweirton’, you would enter

\\asweirton\asweirton

If you have not successfully renamed the drive, you would enter

\\WDMYCLOUD\asweirton

As discussed earlier, when using Windows Map Network Drive, select ‘connect using a different user name’. When it asks for credentials, enter ‘asweirton’ as the username, and ‘MExxx’ as the password.

Have you unmapped ALL network drives before doing this? Did you map the Public drive first, and not enter credentials (Windows will have used your Windows user credentials by default)? It may be wise to reboot the PC after unmapping all drives.

Do you have any other network drives connected; to a different NAS, perhaps?

Thanks for the clarifications. I will check them out and see what happens. This is the first and only network drive I’m trying to map.

I’m not sure I ever saw ‘connect using a different user name’. I will check that out as well.

Thank you very much! Your last message was very helpful. I had indeed changed the username of admin and not the drive name. I also figured out from what you sent me what I was doing wrong. I have since then mapped the particular folder I need from the network drive to each of our three computers in the office. The next step is to actually point to it and see if the software operates correctly. But that part is strictly my headache as such…

Once again, my sincere thanks and appreciation for your assistance!

If you have successfully mapped the drive, then it should behave seamlessly like an internal or USB HDD attached directly to the PC. That’s the advantage of mapping the drive over using WD apps, or other means to access the drive.

If you selected ‘reconnect at logon’ when you mapped the drive, it ought to map the drive automatically when you reboot the machine.