Refund or Salvage HD

Kudos to WD support - while not able to offer any dates or plans for the next firmware release or a “supported” working fix to the incessant file scanning issue they did finally offer a return/refund as an option.  I was pleased to hear back and at least have this as an option.  Then I got the details - 2+ months from the time WD receives the returned product I would then receive a check in the mail.  And it appears I would have to pay shipping as well.  So, I’d be out a NAS and my 200+ dollars for over 2 months.  As others have suggested I think I would be better off salvaging the 4TB drive from my My Cloud and going with a Synology enclosure and software.  Yes, more money but hopefully a better quality product in the end.  Are there any potential problems simply pulling the drive from My Cloud and reusing same in another enclosure?  I don’t see why I can’t do this.  **bleep**, I’ve already voided my warranty anyway.

I ended up moving to Synology myself for the same reasons, but I am keeping the WD NAS to sync the content on the SYnology and have a handy backup. I turned off all the media features, and the infamous services on the WD MyCloud. Synching between a Synology and the NAS through a computer still gets me about 20MB/s so it is pretty good for a backup.

Unfortunately, I didn’t find a way to backup the Synology to the MyCloud through the Synology UI. I am pretty sure there is some tweak that is possible, since Synology can backup to an Rsync server, but I won’t go through the trouble…

Hi - 

Can you please tell us more about “incessant file scanning?”  
I feel that the MyCloud runs A LOT - but am new to the forums and have not researched that issue… . . since I am dealing with the “drive is inaccessible” /no dashboard/ problem first  (- yeah - cuz a stack of problems seems fun and exciting with a new piece of equipment.)
I welcome links to any posts about drives that run ALL the TIME - if that was your original issue.

Thanks for your assist.

daftmapper wrote:

Hi - 

Can you please tell us more about “incessant file scanning?”  
I feel that the MyCloud runs A LOT - but am new to the forums and have not researched that issue… . . since I am dealing with the “drive is inaccessible” /no dashboard/ problem first  (- yeah - cuz a stack of problems seems fun and exciting with a new piece of equipment.)
I welcome links to any posts about drives that run ALL the TIME - if that was your original issue.

Thanks for your assist.

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/Slow-performance-and-file-scanning-applications-on-WD-My-Cloud/td-p/770261