Reformat WDBlack2 under Windows 10

Continuing the discussion from Issue after formatting Black2:

I also have a WDBlack2 which is now showing a single partition of approx 1043gb.
I was originally using Windows 7 with the drive as C: and D:
I Upgraded to Windows 10 and everything was ok.
I just got a new, larger SSD and moved my OS to that and tried to format the WDBlack2 drive.
But, not it shows as a single partition and any attempt to reinstall the software locks up my pc.

So, I have 2 questions.

1. Are there any plans of making the drive/software compatible with Windows 10 (if not I will be RMAing the drive).
  2. What would happen if I simply used the drive with it’s single partition ? Does the drive simply put the first 120gb onto the SSD ?

Hi there,

I don’t have information regarding a windows 10 software, lets see if another user can share some information or tips regarding using the drive as a single partition and share some information or tips on this matter.

I too have a similar issue with my WDBlack2. Plugged into the USB cable Windows 10 sees it. It is cleanly formatted but when I try to install it into my desktop as a separate drive, it is not seen by Windows. What do I need to do to use this as a separate 128GB SSD and a 1TB SATA drive in my system?

You will need to install the drive into a non-Windows 10 system so that you can run the WD utility to create the 128GB and 1TB partitions.
WD informed me that they have no plans to make the software compatible with Windows 10 :frowning:

As far as I know there is no way to use the drive as a single partition and I’m not sure why you would want to as there would be no way to control what files went onto the SSD and which went onto the HDD.