Reformat My Book Live to NTFS?

Is there any possibility to reformat WD My Book Live (exact model: Western Digital My Book Live 3TB WDBACG0030HCH-EESN 3.5 LAN External) from its proprietary EXT3 (or EXT4) file system to NTFS? It should delete an internal operating system on the drive as well. The question is whether My Book Live will work after it as a common external (or network) HDD under Windows? Will it be accessible through LAN after reformatting?

This is simple to answer. You don’t!  :smiley:

Donnar wrote:

Is there any possibility to reformat WD My Book Live (exact model: Western Digital My Book Live 3TB WDBACG0030HCH-EESN 3.5 LAN External) from its proprietary EXT3 (or EXT4) file system to NTFS?

• *why would you want to? Your PC doesn’t care what the format of a NAS’s disks are…

At least to make it more comfortable to use and keep big amounts of information the same way as on internal HDD. Finally there is a need to install Recycle Bin, as all the files on My Book Live are deleted forever by default. If a file was deleted by mistake, it is not possible to recover it unless using some special software, e.g. File Recovery. My Book Live is purposed for home usage, but lacking a Recycle Bin or its Linux equivalent it becomes completely inconvenient.

You’re confusing the issue.

A PC doesn’t care what the format of a NAS disk is.   In fact, there’s no way at all for the PC to determine what the format is.

Windows boxes usually “pretend” that ALL NAS is NTFS – regardless of what the actual format is.

The only thing Windows is aware of is that it’s a SAMBA share… and treats it as such, not as an NTFS disk.

… and turning on NTFS on a disk doesn’t make a Recycle Bin appear…  That’s a function of the client OS, not of the storage itself, nor the OS of the storage.

Certain NAS vendors implement a SERVER-side Recycle Bin, but that’s a completely different thing than a Windows Recycle Bin…