Red light - Over heating issue , should I RMA

I have a couple 4TB My Clouds…

The first one I bought only 4 months ago and I got a red light the day of this post, and was apparently from overheating…

I use these mainly as my movie/music storage areas so their use is not all that extensive, it just seems odd that i would get a heating issue.  Are these units extremly sensitive or something?

Oh, I put it in the refigerator, moved it to my basement (cooler) and it booted fine.  But my home has A/C and was only at 70 degrees, or should I RMA this unit?  

I am now thinking of getting a 4TB Seagate external drive as a back to the WD, I don’t think I would want another WD as a backup unit, thoughts on this from anyone??

I’d contact http://support.wdc.com/ 

Hi,

You mentioned you’re AC running at 70 degree, sounds like it’s not an over heating problem.  I had a similiar suitation last week with RED LED issue.  The problem was caused by error on the /dev/sda4 partition. Do a search on this forum for “RED LED”, there’s a couple of discussion on this issue and NONE is related to over heating.

The fix was relatively simple.  I physically mount the WD RED HD using SATA to USB 3.0 adapter, boot up Debian rescue

and issue the following command to fix all inode error automatically

fsck -y /dev/sda4

When done, reinstall the WD RED into MyCloud and reboot.   This clears up the RED LED and return the system back to BLUE LED.

Cheers!

Can’t get to the fsck command

Drive not recognized.

Likey dead.

Now that My Cloud is open, I should be able to RMA hard drive, correct?

Ubuntu said the drive was about to die, and finally it stopped showing up at all.

Can WD help me?

Contact WD Support in the link posted by GeminiMichael.

doug3ddrive wrote:

Can’t get to the fsck command

Drive not recognized.

Likey dead.

Now that My Cloud is open, I should be able to RMA hard drive, correct?

Ubuntu said the drive was about to die, and finally it stopped showing up at all.

Can WD help me?

It’s highly likely, once opened, you have voided your warranty but that’s just a guess on my part.  Some of posts here for performing certain procedures on a MC start with a warning that you will possibly void your warranty.