Red front light since yesterday (5/24/16) New firmware?

Thank you very much but I’m afraid it didn’t help. The led light became white for several minutes and then turned red again :frowning:

What else can be done?

I have had it for almost two years now. Yes, I have looked for red led in the manual but still I cannot tell what is wrong with my device and how to fix it. Especially that I changed nothing, it just went red from one day to another.

I’m not sure if it helps but when I try to access to the device through the mobile app it gets connected but when I try to open a folder it says: “<folder_name> doesn’t exist”. Does it correspond to the fault “Data volume does not exist”?
What should I do then?
I am not even thinking about loosing all my data… Maybe I should try to manually install the previous firmware? Is it feasible? Does it make sense?

Yeah, the manual is hopeless for troubleshooting and fixing problems. ‘Data volume doesn’t exist’ may mean something to the developers, but not to the normal customer.

I’d say it’s almost certainly caused by the firmware upgrade, and I’m sure I’ve seen previous reports and a fix. Search for ‘red’ in this forum, and you may find it.

If you can SSH into the My Cloud. cat the following files. /tmp/led_cur_ev, /tmp/led_cur_st, /tmp/led_err_ev, /tmp/led_err_st. These files contain the information as to what color the led should be.

RAC

I think the thread I was thinking of is this:

But I’m not sure if that’s your problem. This comment sounds different to your situation:

My MyCloud is displaying a solid red light and its complaining it has a critical error and that the content status is “not mounted”

What reboot did you do? A 4sec reset, or a 40sec reset?

After shutting down your My Cloud how long have you waited before trying to restart it? I suggest this as a start, giving it time to cool down before restarting, to see what happens.

The following link is about SMART failure. Hope it helps.

I tried both. No effect.

I have waited for about 30 minutes. Does it matter? I don’t think it was overheated or something.

all too common. if you are ever able to get it back, turn off auto-updates. I am at ver
2.11.133 and will probably stay there until I replace this unstable disk holder.

What is “all too common”?

Generally when one gets a red LED it means either the drive has failed, or there has been some corruption of the folder/firmware that is preventing the My Cloud firmware from booting.

Could it be firmware related? Possibly but if it was “all too common” then there would be numerous posts immediately after the firmware was released. That hasn’t been the case based on posts here.

The OP hasn’t responded yet (apparently) if they have SSH access. Or if they do have they tried to access the My Cloud to see the folder structure and or manually trigger a firmware update. One method of manually updating the firmware via SSH is explained in the following post:

https://community.wd.com/t/wd-my-cloud-v4-x-and-v2-x-firmware-versions-download-links/148533/7

While most won’t have a problem with the automatic firmware updating, some may.

I was contacted by WD support, they suggested a “system only” reboot through the dashboard site. It says that all the data remains intact, so I did it.
The front light on the device became blue for now, but it seems that I need to configure the whole thing again. On the getting started card → sign up for my cloud account, I put my name, surname and e-mail address and have the following error: “Failed to update user (400053)”.
I can’t move forward with that, what should I do?
No I can see WDMYCLOUD location on my PC, but it is empty! Have I lost all my data doing “system only” reboot??

Try deleting your PC credentials and remap your My Cloud. Also did you use your old login name and password to the My Cloud Dashboard?

Try accessing the My Cloud via the Dashboard using a web browser to setup and configure the My Cloud.

http://support.wdc.com/Knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=13965

Yes, during the dashboard configuration I used my name, surname and e-mail address, just as during the first configuration.

I thought that the “system only” reboot solved the problem, but now even if I have the solid blue light on the front panel, I can’t access dashboard (tried Chrome, Firefox, Edge) nor mycloud.com to do the initial configuration.
No idea what happened, it is connected as has always been.

Have you tried using the IP Address of the My Cloud in the web browser to access the My Cloud Dashboard? A reset may have caused the My Cloud to obtain a different IP Address. Generally it is suggested to configure a static IP Address for the My Cloud within the router’s administration page(s) to avoid having the My Cloud change its IP Address.

I’ve noticed that the IP address changed after the firmware update on 24th May in the first place. Now I tried to access it through http://wdmycloud, I should be able to do it even if the IP address changed, right?

Normally yes one should be able to access the My Cloud using http://wdmycloud but sometimes the local router/gateway or the local PC’s retain the old IP Address for the My Cloud which causes the problem. That’s why one should try accessing the Dashboard using the current IP Address for the My Cloud as a troubleshooting step.