Recycle Bin

Continuing the discussion from Network Recycle Bin?:

I’m trying to figure out where the recycle bin is on my MyCloud EX4100. I have the share in question enabled for the recycle bin but after I delete a file I can’t find the file anywhere.

Hello, as far as I remember you need to access the root level of the drive, like if you were to map a share, and there should be a share with the same name as the one you deleted the file from with all the deleted files from that share.

In File Explorer, you need to look in at you NAS under Network, not Computer. If you placed your recycle bin in Public folder, it can be seen in there.

No luck via File Explorer. WD tech support showed me how to map my EX4100’s recycle bin to a network drive, It works but it seems a very strange way to have to access the recycle bin This is all I see under Network and double clicking the MyCloud device just opens the Ex4100 dashboard…

Thanks. This is sort of what WD tech support suggested. They mapped my recycle bin by mapping the following location. Seems strange but it worked.

\XXX.XXX.X.XX\Recycle Bin - Volume_1

This is what you should see for recycle bin under your NAS in Network

Thanks. For whatever reason I don’t see that but by mapping the recycle bin I can get to it.

If you are unable without success to log into the Recycle Bin on the NAS drive which is already Mapped via File Explorer, AND, you get a User Name and Password Prompt, AND you can access your other shares via File Explorer, here was the solution I finally figured out after 2 hours:

1. To Map the Recycle Bin, right click on This PC or My Computer icon and choose Map Network Drive, choose the drop down list . The Recycle Bin was right there, select the mapping already in place, (if its not, log in to your NAS drive and be sure under Shares its “on”. Using an IP wasn’t necessary, however…I have 3 admin accounts within the NAS drive. All 3 admin accounts including the default admin had read/write access. The Recycle Bin was “On” in my case as in General |Settings, all Admins had Read/Write access to all folders…All looked great however I was rejected via the User Name and Password prompt. I tried all 3 admin accounts including putting the drive name such as NAS-16TB\admin as the user name, much like you would with a domain, still no success. I thought to log out of the web user interface, no luck. Tried for 2 hours. Here’s what worked but its not a favorable ending: In Settings|General, I Cleared the Recycle Bin…bye bye data. Next I went to every admin account, toggled OFF the recycle bin, then toggled ON the recycle bin. Remapped drive as above…Presto! I got in to the Recycle Bin instantly. Nothing else worked including attempting to copy the Permissions from the properly two mapped drives. You simply right click on another Share via File Explorer, choose Properties, choose the Security Tab…then you can see the Permissions to your shared drives. Ideally this will be the same to your Recycle Folder… Here is an image of what this looks likeNetworkPerm