Recommended settings?

Okay, I have been using WD products for almost 4 years now.  MyBook World edition white light, MBL, MBL duo, media player, hub, streaming media player, and a 1TB external hard drive.  I was pleasantly surprised when they released the new router series.  I already have 10 TB of NAS, so didn’t need to get the MyN central, so I got the MyN 900.  Now my mbl duo was previously connected to a linksys EA4500 and I had to enable port forwarding.  Someone said I wouldn’t have to do that with the MyN 900 since it was made by the same company.  Is this true, if not, where and what settings do I need to modify?  Also, I live in a 3 story home, is there anything else I need to tweek to make sure I get a strong signal to the router anywhere in the house?  Thanks.

Miller-Village wrote:

Someone said I wouldn’t have to do that with the MyN 900 since it was made by the same company.  Is this true, if not, where and what settings do I need to modify? 

“Someone?”  Someone is wrong…  You’d need to enable port-forwarding and/or UPnP on this router the same as every other router made…

So what are the ports that work best on this router?  And what needs to be done with the MBL duo?

Miller-Village wrote:

So what are the ports that work best on this router?  And what needs to be done with the MBL duo?

I’m not sure I understand your question.

There are no ports that work “Best.”  port-forwarding involves SPECIFIC, non-arbitrary ports depending on what you’re trying to do.

I’m trying to keep my MBL duo online all the time, instead of with the relay setting.  When someone told me about port forwarding with my linksys they gave me what ports to use for forwarding, and it was simple.  I’m not that tech savie, but follow directions well.  I was asking for the recommended ports to forward to, and how to set it up with the MyN900

The N900 suports UPnP, so there’s no need to *manually* set port forwarding.

As long as UPnP is enabled, you’re good to go with “Automatic” WD 2go configuration in the MBL Duo.

Is there anything I need to enable before I enable UPNP?  I ask because the mouse won’t let me enable it.  Thanks.