Recommended Direct Attached Storage (DAS) to use with MyCloud EX2 Ultra for music/Plex?

well. . . there are lots of issues here.

First. . .backup. Obviously; have all your “stuff” on a single HDD is an issue.

A primary use case for an EX2 is to simply have two large drives in a Raid1 configuration. . . and call it a day. With that setup; you are protected against a single drive failure; and you can throw in a fresh drive and be whole in a few hours while you sleep.

Of course; this method isn’t foolproof. If the EX2 motherboard goes. . .data recovery will be a minor trick. If you have a fire in your house. . .all your data is (wait for it . . . .) toast

My solution would be simple: larger drives for the EX2; and put all your music on it. Raid 1, Raid 0, or JBOD are probably all fine for this application. . . .now as for your current 6TB external drive. . . .put that in an office away from home, a fireproof safe, or a safedeposit box. This is your “really bad day” backup. Periodically bring it home to freshen up the files.

If you have some cash to burn. . . .buy a second HDD and put a copy of all your music on it. Keep this one home and freshen the backup once week or once a month. That will make it easier to keep it current than one offsite.

Second . . . Just a note: If you buy new drives for the EX2: Make sure they are CMR drives and not the cheaper SMR drives. That WILL make a performance difference.

BTW: Me personally? Primary data is on an external HDD that floats between various PC’s. Primary backup (and occasionally accessed by other PC’s) is an EX2 in Raid 1 configuration. Yes, I have a HDD in an offsite location that is refreshed every year or two. . . . . oh- - and every year my external HDD is replaced by a fresh drive. That way. . .if some random virus corrupts my backups. . .or I do something stupid; and I propagate a problem to my backups. . . I have data a year old somewhere not far away)

1 Like