Recaptcha on login

Guy’s can we do away with the recaptcha on login? it’s a real pain in the perverbial! it’s not needed as you have captcha on registration?

Heck, no!!  

I’m tired of all that “UFC Live Streaming ■■■■ Spam” spam that’s been coming in by the 100’s lately. 

It stopped the instant this was added.

Bravo, WD and Lithium!!

2 Likes

Yeah it is annoying but It’s better than all that spam!

Joe

1 Like

You could always just leave your browser window/tab open, if you’re here that frequently.  The last time I logged in was before it was implemented.

I didn’t even know about it until folks started complaining.

I’ve still yet to be given a capcha challenge. :wink:

You don’t even have to leave your browser open.   Lithium appears to use persistent cookies to maintain login state.

:smileyvery-happy:

Well, since I _ do _ just leave it (and several others) open, I didn’t even know that, lol.

Well, so much for that…  :angry:  Spammers are back.

Wouldn’t be so much of a pain if the words were clearer - I must have spent an hour the other day trying to register at (another) site and my interpretation was rejected every time despite checking and rechecking each letter.

I realise the object is to make it machine-unreadable but they seem to have deleted the “machine” bit!

I know some can be a real pain to decypher.

Joe

reCAPTCHA is a different beast.   It’s actually really useful.

Two glyphs are presented. 

Only ONE is known to the algorithm, the other is UNKNOWN.

The user is unaware which is which, but the user only needs to satisfy the KNOWN glyph.

So what’s done with the unknown solution?   It’s how they’re converting printed matter to digital form.   Glyphs that repeatedly fail OCR algorithms are put into the CAPTCHA pool for human solution.    :)

I see a lot of folks are relieved that all the spam is missing since we started using the captcha.  For what it is worth, i have never seen a captcha test on on any other forum as part of the regular login.  I think the real issue is that there are no monitors on this forum. to weed out the spam so that we have to suffer it.

Horsehocky.  All popular forum engines have at least one turing-type test.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

The user is unaware which is which, but the user only needs to satisfy the KNOWN glyph.

Maybe some users, or even many users, but probably 99 times out of 100 I can tell which was the challenge and which was the control. :wink:

The problem is, that even though I know I can skip the challenge code and only enter the control code, or only correctly enter the control code, and can type anything for the challenge code (that, as you say, has previously failed OCR), more often than not it’s the control code that is nearly unreadable and gives me a migraine and double vision to try and read/decypher.

I was very annoyed about 5 months ago when the changed their glyphs and started making my head explode… they’ve been tinkering around with it ever since, but it’s not much better.

I frequent a lot of forums & have never seen a captcha test except on initial registration.

Just to make the real point (for me).  The glyphs are almost impossible to read.  I typically fail at least twice before I’m accepted.  It’s very annoying.

I frequent a lot of forums & have never seen a captcha test except on initial registration.<<

Me neither.

Just to make the real point (for me).  The glyphs are almost impossible to read.  I typically fail at least twice before I’m accepted.  It’s very annoying.<<

Me too.

Unfortunately, we have to leave it for now. 

snoopcat wrote:

I think the real issue is that there are no monitors on this forum. to weed out the spam so that we have to suffer it.

Yeah, you’re right.  There are no monitors on this forum.  However, there are multiple moderators on the forum, and they do weed out the spam.  Otherwise, you’d be drowning in it.  :smileyvery-happy:

Bill_S wrote:

Unfortunately, we have to leave it for now. 

For now? Any chance you can leave it forever?

Guys - if you can’t read the captcha, just hit the refresh button until you get one you can read. It also allows room for a mistake or two - It only rejects you when you get 2 or 3 letters wrong. I just logged in/out like 10 times without issue.