Really stupid question -- I need HELP!

Okay…I bought a 2T EBook external drive to use for music only. I’m running out of room on my 500G laptop. So, what I want to do is backup all my music files on the hard drive, then delete the files on my laptop so I can add more space.

I backed all my music up very easily.

Here’s my question: HOW THE **bleep** DO I GAT THE BACKED UP MUSIC BACK?? How can I listen to songs or albums I have stored only on the hard drive? Do I need to “retrieve” ALL the files? If so, how can there be room? I need someone to explain this to me as if I were a 7 year old. I don’t want to lose 60,000 songs.

Hi there, 

Did you backed up your music manually? If you did just go on My Computer and double click on the drive and you’ll see 

your files there.

If used Smartware the music files will be located under the Smartware_stor folder. The files will be under Mycomputer/MyBook/smartware_store/C/users/**public*orusername**/documentsandsettings/mydocuments/music.

This might change depending of the way the folder show on your computer , just wanted you to have a better idea on which route to take.

Hope this helps.

Your reply posted with no info. If your using IE9 as your browser please look at this thread:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/IE9-and-WDC-Forum-Compatibility/m-p/167196#M661

Billy1212 wrote:

Okay…I bought a 2T EBook external drive to use for music only. I’m running out of room on my 500G laptop. So, what I want to do is backup all my music files on the hard drive, then delete the files on my laptop so I can add more space.

I backed all my music up very easily.

Here’s my question: HOW THE **bleep** DO I GAT THE BACKED UP MUSIC BACK?? How can I listen to songs or albums I have stored only on the hard drive? Do I need to “retrieve” ALL the files? If so, how can there be room? I need someone to explain this to me as if I were a 7 year old. I don’t want to lose 60,000 songs.

If you’re using the external as a regular hard drive, then you don’t want to “back up” the files to it, you just want to copy/move the files over.

Backup programs do just that… they store extra copies, in case you need them, but generally aren’t designed for the backup to be regularly accessed.

But, whatever way you access them, just remember… if you “can’t afford” to lose the data, then you want a second (and even third) copy stored somewhere.  All drives will fail sooner or later.  The manufacturer hopes that it’s outside of the warranty period, but they don’t guarantee the drive will work forever.