Really dissapointed EX2 8tb

I actually have  both my wireless connections set to manual connect. It’s is definitely using the wired connection. 

Not to mention my wireless network is AC. It’s currently connected at 860Mbps. :smiley:

Hmm…then I am clueless unfortunately.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

Appreciated here as well.  No wireless anything in this machine.  Good idea tho!

Well this is interesting…

I’m currently transferring at 90Mbps from the NAS back to my desktop over the wired connection.

Things I did differently.

Reinstalled the OS. (Windows 7 64-bit) This is a new computer build so it wasn’t that big of deal.

Didn’t re-install any WD software. I just connected to the NAS through windows explorer and logged in.

Didn’t re-install ZoneAlarm (firewall). I noticed it was still blocking applications I said to allow by looking at the logs. 

I cut and pasted the file folder, I didn’t drag it. 

I copied files from the NAS to my desktop. All other transfers were from my desktop to the NAS.

So, now to figure out if I can get it to slow down again and figure out what was causing it.

So I took that same folder of files (about 26Gb) and copied it back to the NAS in a new folder.

It’s started out at 30Mbps and has increased to 40Mbps. Bouncing around there on average.

Previous folder size was over 100Gb. Maybe that was the problem? I’ll keep investigating.

In all my several large batches of fil transfer in the three weeks I have had the EX2, I was able to get higher speed writing TO the EX2 drive and slightly less speed reading FROM EX2. So my hunch is you’ll probably get even higher speed writng TO the EX2 drive…but I am not gonna count on it until you’ve tried it.

The other thing I’d say is - I am quite certain it makes no difference whether you drag or cut-paste files…essentially internally it issues the same command to Windows - which is file move (for cut-past and file copy for copy-paste).

As for firewall effects, I’m not 100% sure but I’m 95% sure it didn’t have any effect - because it would either block or not block the transfer, if it played any role.

Which leaves me to strongly suspect it was something in your Windows config…but I have no idea what it was. Of course that doesn’t help the other poster in this thread who may not be able to start a new OS afresh…but at least I’m glad to hear your file read speeds took a leap. I’d be curious to hear what your write speeds to the EX2 are like. And looks like you are definitely getting the full use of the AC router (if you are using wifi)…I use a Netgear N-router but that doesn’t matter because I use wired connections and was basically writing to EX2 at about 60-61 MBps and reading at about 42-44 MBps. BTW, I think you meant 90MBps and not Mbps.

So I’m not sure why it was 90MB/s for that one time because it seems to have leveled off at around 35MB/s in either direction. 

All file transfers were over the wired connection.

At least all my files are on the EX2 now, so I’m happy about that. 

Hmm…you know what…just minutes ago I started reading a couple files totaling ~ 6GB FROM EX2 to my laptop and you know what…it started at around 6.45 MBps but tapered down to 6.20MBps. I stopped the copy a couple minutes into it and restarted it again and still got same low speed of around 6.34MBps…all the while doing it on a wired connection. I don’t know but I am thinking maybe the NAS drive (I have only one drive in the EX2 - it’s in JBOD mode obviously) spins down in sleep mode and if you haven’t used the drive in a while, it might keep using the drive in a low power mode with low spin speed.

That’s the only guess I have at the moment because I have got much higher read speeds in the past on multiple occasions. And unlike some other users who can perhaps blame it to software, I never installed the my cloud software or anything on my laptop (or anywhere). I just use the EX2 in it’s bare bones form either over Windows network or via ftp from outside (and I know you are doing the same over Windows network too in your LAN).

Haha. Nothing other than the usual caffeine.

It seems to be a very random. Today one transfer slowed to 1.4MB/s then immediately following another transfer was 60+MB/s. No idea why at this point.

Well LinAdmin, pretty soon you will be banned in a few hours and your posts will disappear. But while you can see this, let me clue you in on smething. The rest of us can see how long TonyPh12345 has been a member and lookup his posts to see that he has genuinely contributed to this forum for several years now. While your latest username is only hours old and will be gone by the end of the day…do you really think you can fool the forum members by your constant badmouthing of WD or that it will really have ANY effect on current and potential customers??

At least when someone who contributes constructively, like Tony, if he speaks ill of WD it will be taken seriously…but you, a fly-by-night troll, no one cares about your comments.