Real virus inside WDBMInst.exe or false-positive?

I was scanning my installation files using Microsoft Security Essentials and it flagged a WD installation file as having a trojan virus.  I re-downloaded a fresh version from the WD site and scanned it with MS Security Essentials and it again came up with the same trojan virus alert.

I was wondering if anyone can comment if this might be a false-positive or a real virus inside the WD installation file.

Here are my procedures:

Download link: http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=405&sid=51&lang=en

Downloaded file: MyBook_ProII_PC.zip

Scan Result:

Items:
containerfile:C:\Users\jon\Desktop\mybookProII\WD_RAIDManager.zip
file:C:\Users\john\Desktop\mybookProII\WD_RAIDManager.zip->WD_RAIDManager50/WD_RAIDManager/Windows/ButtonManager/WDBMInst.exe
file:C:\Users\jon\Desktop\mybookProII\WD_RAIDManager50\WD_RAIDManager\Windows\ButtonManager\WDBMInst.exe

Alert level SEVERE
Trojan:Win32/Sisron

If a real virus, shouldn’t WD remove the virus from their download site?

Regards,

Jon

Try going to Virus Total https://www.virustotal.com/en/ and have the file sacnned there. It will be scanned by many different AV programs. If only one or two show as a virus then it is probably be a false posative. If it’s a virus most will show it as a virus. I’m not a fan of MSE it doesn’t do very well in comparison tests against commercial AV products. Avast and Avg are both good and have free versions. 

Joe

Seem WD may have changed/fixed the download file and it no longer scans as infected.  However, Norton seems to find a trojan virus inside the original download as well.  The infected filename is: WDBMInst.exe on the mybook premium ii and the mybook pro ii products. I would scan any old downloads.  I did not have a chance to scan the file on the original distribution CD.

Jon

We have been tring to contact you through PM can you please conact our technical support team at you earliest convience or please PM me back with a good contact information so that we can call you"

Thank you WD Support

"

Re: Real virus inside WDBMInst.exe or false-positive?

yesterday

Seem WD may have changed/fixed the download file and it no longer scans as infected.  However, Norton seems to find a trojan virus inside the original download as well.  The infected filename is: WDBMInst.exe on the mybook premium ii and the mybook pro ii products. I would scan any old downloads.  I did not have a chance to scan the file on the original distribution CD.

Jon"