Real newbie question on WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra

Apologies in advance for asking what its probably a really dumb question, but I’m stumped.

I am thinking of getting a WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra. What I want to do is offload all my photos, which are quickly consuming a lot of my desktop computer’s hard drive, onto one of the Ultra’s drives and set it up so that it mirrors those photos in the second of the two RAID drives. But I do NOT want to simply create a backup of the photos on my computer. I want to MOVE all the existing photos onto the Ultra. And then, as I create new ones on my image processing software, I want to store those new ones there too (and not on the computer). From time to time, I will also want to modify or delete photos stored on the RAID drives, directly from my computer. So the Ultra will not be backing up data on my computer at all, because none of the photos will be stored there.

The descriptions of the Ultra’s features that I’ve read talk about using it to back up data that is already on a computer. But I haven’t seen mention of its use as, in effect, a different, second primary storage space for new data, supplementing the storage of data on my computer. Maybe this is so elementary that WD assumes everyone knows that’s possible. Is this true?

Hello, sircarlphil,

Well, if you are planning to buy a new NAS “WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra” drive in order to backup the photos from the computer hard drive you can definitely go for it. Moreover, if you want to know more about the drive i.e how to use the drive then you may refer to the given useful link.

product overview
https://www.wdc.com/content/dam/wdc/website/downloadable_assets/eng/product_overview/4178-707149.pdf

user manual
https://www.wdc.com/content/dam/wdc/website/downloadable_assets/eng/user_manual/4779-705148.pdf

@sircarlphil,

This sounds like a pretty basic function of any NAS and not limited to WD ones. Basically, what you are wanting to do is buy a NAS with at least two drives, configure a RAID volume on it (RAID 1 will give you mirroring in case of a drive failure), and then create a share on it. From your Windows PC, you will then map a drive letter to the new share that has been created on the NAS.

Once the drive is mapped, you simply copy any files from your PC to that drive and once satisfied they are there, you can remove them from the original location on your PC.

Then in future any new files you wish to transfer, will need to explicitly be saved to the NAS share via whatever drive letter you nominate.

Cheers,

JediNite

As I suspected. (You mention PC’s; I have a Mac, but I assume what you say applies to Macs as well.) Thanks very much, JediNite.

@sircarlphil

Yes, same thing applies to Mac as well.

JediNite