RE4 1TB drives in RAID 1 make system freeze in regular intervals while drives under load

The topic should describe the main problem.

I switched from WD Green drives to the RE4 drives in my workstation but whenever I copy large amounts of data from or to the drives that run in a RAID 1 setup the computer locks up every 3-4 seconds. Each time only for ca. half a second but this is still extremely annoying.

My other system specs are:

Intel i5-2500k

Intel P67 chipset

The drives are connected to ports 3+4 of the Intel controller

Thank you for any ideas or possible tips on how to fix the problem.

If you notice that the RE4 is not performing as it should, you can run a test using DLG by connecting the hard drive directly to your computer. 

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/940

I removed one of the drives from the RAID and got the following tests results from the DLG Tools:

Test Option: QUICK TEST 
Model Number: WDC WD1003FBYX-01Y7B1 
Unit Serial Number: WD-WCAW34797315 
Firmware Number: 01.01V02 
Capacity: 1000.20 GB 
SMART Status: PASS 
Test Result: FAIL 
Test Error Code: 06-Quick Test on drive 4 did not complete! Status code = 07 (Failed read test element), Failure Checkpoint = 97 (Unknown Test) SMART self-test did not complete on drive 4! 
Test Time: 09:12:26, March 08, 2013 

Test Error Code: 06-Quick Test on drive 4 did not complete! Status code = 07 (Failed read test element), Failure Checkpoint = 97 (Unknown Test) SMART self-test did not complete on drive 4! 
Test Time: 09:14:30, March 08, 2013 

Test Time: 09:16:37, March 08, 2013

After the DLG tools seem to refuse a proper test I started up HD Tune and ran a surface test on the HDD.

Th scan showed quite a few damaged sectors. My question now is this a case for RMA if the drive has been purchased less than 4 weeks ago?

HDTune_Error_Scan_WDC_WD1003FBYX-01Y7B.png

Since the DLG test failed, I recommend you to take it back to the store since it has been less than a month. Most stores should do the replacement directly during the first month. If the option to replace the hard drive is not available on the store, you may create the RMA replacement number from the WD web site, check the link below for the steps. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you. 

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8