Re: Universal Remotes & WDTV Live

I have a similar question to JPNARF’s, I have a Toshiba TV with a multibrand/universal remote that I would like to use to control my WDTV.  Does anyone know what remote control device code the WDTV will respond to?

I assume that the standard universal remotes are preprogrammed to accept popular manufacturers devices and are activated by a 4 or 6 digit code, if they do not have the device listed in their database then you have no hope.

Your remote would have to have ir learning or invest in a Logitech Harmony remote.

I concur with Keithb.  I have a Logitech Harmony, and it works great with the WDTV Live (along with all my other components).  It’s really cool to push one button and have the TV, WDTV Live, and my Home Theatre all come on and switch to the correct settings.  That said, I don’t know if there’s a standard numeric code for the WDTV Live … I do know that I didn’t find the WDTV Live instantly in the Logitech listing either – it’s in the Media PC category!

Try some of the hitachi codes. I have a hitachi tv that recognizes a couple of the WDTV live buttons when pressed.

djeaux:  I also have a WDTV and a Harmony One.  The H1 will control the WDTV, except for one thing: after the startup sequence completes, the Devices screen on the H1 is blank.  I then have to manually select the WDTV from the list of devices to control the WDTV, and if I want to adjust the volume of my AV controller, I have to manually select that and then go back to the WDTV.   The WDTV is the only box I’m having this issue with.  If I start up any other activity, the Device screen loads, and I can also control the AV controller with the volume rocker.  Any ideas how I can resequence the H1 correctly?

hawkster27 wrote:

djeaux:  I also have a WDTV and a Harmony One.  The H1 will control the WDTV, except for one thing: after the startup sequence completes, the Devices screen on the H1 is blank.  I then have to manually select the WDTV from the list of devices to control the WDTV, and if I want to adjust the volume of my AV controller, I have to manually select that and then go back to the WDTV.   The WDTV is the only box I’m having this issue with.  If I start up any other activity, the Device screen loads, and I can also control the AV controller with the volume rocker.  Any ideas how I can resequence the H1 correctly?

Strange… I’ve no problem with my H1 and the wdtvlive. I’ve added an activity which is watch video using the TV (no amp) and the WDTV, it switch on the two devices (wdtv & Tv) if needed and put the TV on the correct HDMI port.

I’ve created sequences to change language and subtitle (kind of: press info + press ok +press info for language).

There must be something wrong in your activity setting.

hawkster27 wrote:

I logged a call with Logitech regarding this problem, still waiting for a reply.

Strange… I’ve no problem with my H1 and the wdtvlive. I’ve added an activity which is watch video using the TV (no amp) and the WDTV, it switch on the two devices (wdtv & Tv) if needed and put the TV on the correct HDMI port.

I’ve created sequences to change language and subtitle (kind of: press info + press ok +press info for language).

There must be something wrong in your activity setting.

Play media is the only activity which does not request which device will control the volume.

hawkster27 wrote:

Success!  I reconfigured the WD TV as a Digital Music Server instead of a Media Center PC, which is how I had originally ID’d it.  I obviously missed the DMS option on the original setup.

(To be clear, I have a WD TV HD, not the WDTV Live, but I ended up here because of search results for my problem.)

Harmony One can be configured for sequences of up to five keys at a time, so it is possible to start MP3 playback, from power on, with two of these sequences, without having to turn the TV on!  Unfortunately, you cannot string these seqences together to make longer sequences, but this is just a minor irritation.

Note, however, that the default H1 settings don’t work well with the HDTV Live.  It seems to require an inter-key delay of at least 500ms in order to process key sequences reliably.

hawkster27 wrote:

hawkster27 wrote:

Success!  I reconfigured the WD TV as a Digital Music Server instead of a Media Center PC, which is how I had originally ID’d it.  I obviously missed the DMS option on the original setup.

(To be clear, I have a WD TV HD, not the WDTV Live, but I ended up here because of search results for my problem.)

Success ! In ‘Play Media’ activity - Customise Buttons and map all the commands to Standard Buttons and Additional Buttons (LCD}, the volume buttons will already be mapped to Amplifier.