Re: Should I download the software that came with MyBook Essential Hard Drive or use Time Machine?

I know this might be a little off topic but  a similar problem. I have one the old legacy books  it’s a My Book Pro II.  The problem is I can’t register it cause it’s out of warranty. WD won’t allow downloads of any software unless the product is registered.  Makes no sense.  I’ve loved Western Digital Drives for over the pass 24 years this makes me want to switch and try something else. I have new WD back Drive on my other computer and need two more back external hard drives but why get them if in a couple of years I might be left holding a brick.

Maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this. You can do so either by phone or email.

To Contact WD for Technical Support:
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

Regards,
Robothief.

1 Like

Blade96 wrote:

I know this might be a little off topic but  a similar problem. I have one the old legacy books  it’s a My Book Pro II.  The problem is I can’t register it cause it’s out of warranty. WD won’t allow downloads of any software unless the product is registered.  Makes no sense.  I’ve loved Western Digital Drives for over the pass 24 years this makes me want to switch and try something else. I have new WD back Drive on my other computer and need two more back external hard drives but why get them if in a couple of years I might be left holding a brick.

Robothief is right.

I had a problem like this in the past and they were able to register the drive for me.