Ratings/xml file

i want to change “director” to “Rating”… ie: G, PG, PG-13, R and so on… personally i could care less who directed the film… if i wanted to know that bad - there’s google!

but apparently it cannot be changed or added with the xml file… also, let

s get rid of the movie file extentions after the title of the movies… why would anyone want to get the “info” just to hide the extentions and fill up the ext hd with a bunch of file? i found that’s very stupid to begin with…

how about if i just wanted the movie overview and rating… i don’t need all the other movie info… i usually know who already is the movie… or if i wanted i could add that info later…

Ruffsta wrote:

why would anyone want to get the “info” just to hide the extentions and fill up the ext hd with a bunch of file? i found that’s very stupid to begin with…

The info does a heck of a lot more than that!  :laughing:

i don’t need it to do more than i need and want it to… i don’t need a **bleep** load of files filling up my ext hd thank you… i already have a movie and a pic for each movie… bad enough i would need an xml file per movie… it’s a waste really.

You’re contradicting yourself, and making it very difficult to follow what you’re asking.

Your post started with a question about how to substitute Ratings / Directors by modifying XML files.

And now you’re complaining that you don’t want XML files.

Which is it?

Ruffsta wrote:

i don’t need it to do more than i need and want it to… i don’t need a **bleep** load of files filling up my ext hd thank you… i already have a movie and a pic for each movie… bad enough i would need an xml file per movie… it’s a waste really.

This thread doesn’t belong here, so which device are you referring to, so that I can put this in the appropriate forum?

i just want to change where is says “director” to “Rating” and put the actual rating as mentioned… if i have to use an xml file to do it fine… i don’t need other files donloaded…

just changing an existing xml file where it says “director” to “Rating” doesn’t work…

i have the:

wd tv

live

Wow.  I think you’re completely misunderstanding how this box works.

The *WORDS* “Rating” and “Director” are part of the firmware.

So even if you could change the word DIRECTOR to RATING, you cannot populate the screen with the actual rating information without downloading other files.

i downloaded the “info” on 1 movie… i edited the xml… i changed the director’s name just fine and easily… so i can put the rating in there just fine… it’s just i can’t change the word “director” to “Rating”…

in the xml file i can edit any info - i just can’t change the actual field items such as “director”

shouldn’t have to download anything anyway… all you have to do is open properties on each movie and fill in the blanks… why doesn’t it do it that way?

Because very few video formats that the WDTV supports can support internal metadata.

well, i would like it to display what i want it to with an xml file… is there a way i can do this?

i was going to make themes since i have dealt with graphics and coding (just not xml files), for years, but if i can’t get it to display exactly what i want - then i see no point in wasting my time making and sharing them.

???

wow… some forum… leaving people hanging…

to change the word “Director” to “Rating”

review the theme xml’s

if you’re lucky there will be a text field for “Director” , which can be changed

but more likely you’ll see some @@variable, which can not be changed

i don’t see an xml file for the default theme that came with it…

I posted a zip of the default theme here

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Discussions/Attention-Themers-1-12-14-Mochi-OSD/m-p/499030#M13953

there’s probably 1000+ xml in there

again, I’m not sure what you looking for is possible, if it is you’ll probably have to change it in multiple xml files, depending on what features you use

1 Like

k, ty

basically just want to change the word “director” to “rating” and insert the actual rating in there instead of the director’s name… i’ll post a picture if needed.

all i know is i open my ext 3tb hd - and wd put in 2 CAS files… no theme files

so if i wanted to make a theme, i would store it on my ext hd correct? where do i start on making a theme? like what size bg, and such?

whoa! you need all those files to make a theme? geez! i figured a folder with just some images and a few xml files…

do you need all those - well sort of

that is the entire default theme, no additions and nothing missing

however WD fortunately built in the functionality, so that if an xml or image is missing from a custom theme

it defaults to the version stored in NAND

as for where to keep it, you have to upload the theme to the WD, using the web interface

note uploads are limited to 30MB and must be formatted correctly

zip file with a meta.xml and no compression used

I would probably start by looking at rv_gallery_browse.xml

which btw now, that I’m home and looking at that xml

the director entry is

notice @@director

as I mentioned early @@value can not be changed

but also now that I’m looking there is an xml entry for rating

and a theme entry

so you should probably just create a custom theme that removes the director entry and moves/resize the rating info to suit your needs