RAID1 or RAID0 - Just For Backups

I purchased the WD My Book Live Duo 8TB because the 8TB was something I wanted. I use Windows File History to back up Documents, Music and Video (mostly precious home videos.)

I have a copy of my pictures on SkyDrive and I also back those up along with documebts to iDrive.

The WD My Book Live Duo 8TB is not going to be a primary storage device. It is basically an aux copy of what I already back up, sans the videos, which this will be the primary backup.

Currently, with File History having run 3 times, I have 2.5TB remaining out of 8TB and the way file history works, I really don’t need the full 8TB. But oddly, peace of mind for me is having storage and lots of it.

Should I give up 4TB to go RAID1, just to have more peace of mind? The home movies are very precious and hard to save over SkyDrive and iDrive (and would get expensive). Should I get another WD My Book Live Duo 8TB just for the video and make it RAID1?

Thanks in advance for the advice…

If your MBLD is just a backup target, then the only advantage RAID1 gives you is that your backups will be protected from a single disk failure.   If you lose a disk, and then replace it, all of your original backups will still be present.

In Spanning mode, you will lose at least some of the data and may lose the history / revisions of files.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

If your MBLD is just a backup target, then the only advantage RAID1 gives you is that your backups will be protected from a single disk failure.   If you lose a disk, and then replace it, all of your original backups will still be present.

In Spanning mode, you will lose at least some of the data and may lose the history / revisions of files.

Right, this is purly for backup and not actual storing or archiving of files. If I lose a disk or the entire RAID0, I’ll just run a fresh File History. I do not plan on storing archives on this drive. It just backs up my important files in addition to my other methods (iDrive, SkyDrive.) As long as my current drives are backed up to this 8TB drive, that is enough redundancy for me. Just doesn’t protect in the event of natural disaster. May eventually get another external drive to store off site copies at one day.

I just hope this drive lasts. For every glowing review, there is a horrid review.