RAID0 system malfunctions if 50% full

I have 2 x 4TB drives in RAID 0. when I put more than 3.8 tb of files on it the top redlight came on. tests on the drives were normal. I spoke to support who told me to ignore it and continue using it normally. I added more files, the system collapsed and the drive was no longer visible with the top red light blinking all the time. Contacted support who told me to leave the system on for 7 whole days.The fans and disk whirred continuously but Nothing changed the device wouldn’t show on dashboard or the network.An RMA was agreed and it took 10 days to get a replacement. Now I have the same problem. With WD RAIDs can you use only 50% of the space before the system fails? I get 7.5 TB of storage on synology with 2 x4tb drives
How do you get the full storage on wd?

RAID0 or JBOD mode which means two data Volumes. It sounds like you may have filled Volume_1 to 100% capacity because the Power LED will become RED at 95%. How are you adding data to the drive? Windows Samba? macOS Finder? Some other software program? Did you check the Alerts? Did you collect and send the system logs to support? What’s your case number?

Isn’t Raid0 inferring “Striped” volume across both disks?
I thought that Raid0 is distinct from JBOD; which would have the disks appear as two separate volumes.

Just a dumb question: Are these Red or Red Plus drives in the unit? (If you don’t want to pull drives. . . are the drives WD40EFAX or WD40EFRX? (you could see this in the OS3 dashboard under “storage - DiskStatus”)

@NAS_user good catch. EDITS made “RAID0 or JBOD mode”

They are RED drives and he tests on the drive were normal

@sbrown : No problem. :slight_smile:

@ratnalg
If these are Red, model WD40EFAX, purchased in the last year or so, then these are most likely SMR drives.

I would be suspicious that copying all this data all at once to a SMR drive might be an issue. I would try again copying in smaller (say. . .500gb?) chunks.

Although. . . .I am thinking there is a more likely culprit: You wouldn’t happen to have cloud access for the shares/device turned on? I would bet a nickel that halfway through the copy job that OS5 is attempting to index the data WHILE it is still being copied. . . and the system is getting overloaded.

I would keep all the cloud stuff disabled until all the copying is complete. THEN enable the cloud stuff. AND THEN wait 7 days. . .because that’s how long it will probably take to index all that stuff.

PS: From the nagging wife department: You do realize that with Raid 0. . . if either drive goes bad, you lose all the data, correct? JBOD does not have this flaw… . .although you wind up with two logical drives, not one. (i.e. it literally shows up as 2 x 4TB drives). If the performance benefits of stripped Raid 0 drives are important. . . you might consider using RedPro (CMR 7200 rpm) or RedPlus (CMR 5400 rpm) drives (or equivalent)

Many thanks. It makes sense. I still dont understand why its saying its 95% full with only 3.9 tb of data on it. Also i did run it for 7 days before sending it back.
I take your point on the drives. As regards RAID 0 I have two synology sytems on RAID 0 which have been running for 6 years without losing a file. I at least expect 6 months from wd
I will try what you suggest. thanks for your thoughts

Hello
I have been experimenting with your insight
I turned off cloud access and added files in packets less than 500mb,
the moment i got to 3.9 TB the red light came on even with cloud access off
the dashboard says I 4 tb free
warnings say vol 1 is nearing 95% full
So the RAID 0 Storage limitation appears nothing to have to do with indexing
The drives are Seagate 4 TB IronWolf NAS ST4000VNZ008

How do you setup JBOD?
Thanks for your help
Lawrence

So - - - -Not to sound like a WD Shill. . . . .or a @sbrown mimic; but it’s time to open a support ticket.

I imagine the JBOD is an option under the raid settings? Same place you switch from the default Raid1 to Raid0? Never did this on my units. . . and just like you don’t hover a mouse over a “format” button. . .I am not going into these menu’s unless I must :wink:

Yes, please collect the system logs and open a support case.
It definitely sounds like JBOD and not RAID0 configuration.

How to Collect My Cloud System Logs

Answer ID 18374

My Support Portal

RAID0

It sounds like you’re encountering issues with your WD RAID setup. RAID 0 combines two drives for increased speed and storage capacity but lacks redundancy. The problem you described suggests there might be limitations or issues with your RAID configuration.

Here are a few things to consider:

1. RAID 0 Capacity: RAID 0 combines the capacity of both drives, so you should have approximately 8TB of usable space. The issue you’re facing may not be due to a limitation in using the full capacity.
  2. Red Light Indication: The red light on your WD RAID enclosure indicates a problem. Ignoring such warnings, especially when dealing with storage, can result in data loss. If the top red light is consistently on or blinking, there might be a critical issue that needs attention.
  3. Support Advice: It’s unusual for support to advise users to ignore a red light, especially if it persists. If you’re facing issues, it’s essential to address them rather than ignoring warnings.
  4. RAID Rebuild: When you add more files, especially large amounts of data, it puts stress on the RAID array. If the RAID array is not functioning properly, adding more data can lead to a failure.
  5. Replacement Unit: If the replacement unit is exhibiting the same issues, it’s possible there’s a systemic problem. It could be related to the specific RAID enclosure model or a configuration issue.
  6. Compatibility and Firmware: Ensure that the RAID enclosure and drives are compatible, and that you have the latest firmware updates installed.
  7. Monitoring Software: Use any monitoring software that comes with your RAID enclosure to check the status of your RAID array, monitor temperature, and receive alerts for potential issues.
  8. Check Drive Health: Run thorough diagnostic tests on your hard drives individually to ensure there are no underlying issues.
  9. Review RAID Configuration: Check the RAID configuration settings to ensure it’s set up correctly. RAID 0, while providing increased capacity, does not offer redundancy, so data loss is a risk.
  10. Backup: Always maintain backups of your important data. RAID is not a substitute for regular backups.

If the problem persists, it might be worth consulting with WD support again or seeking assistance from a professional who can analyze the specific issues with your setup. Additionally, if your priority is data safety, consider RAID configurations that provide redundancy, such as RAID 1 or RAID 5, even though they may have lower overall capacity.