I have two EX2 enclosure and I’ve been trying to investigate the best way to clone my raid 1 and have attempted to migrate just one of the two raid 1 disk from one enclosure to another, however the second enclosure doesn’t prompt me with Raid Roaming to integrate this drive into the enclosure; it needs both disk 1 and 2.
Has anyone found a method of activating Raid Roaming with just one of the raid 1 disks?
Once the disk is integrated with the new enclosure, I can then insert a second disk for a raid rebuild and thus cloning the raid 1 that I have from the first enclosure.
If there is a way, I can then use the method of swapping out disk 2 (keeping it in a safe place as a backup copy) and rebuild the raid.
You can follow the steps mention on the given article.
Yes indeed it does work with both mirror drives inserted into the new enclosure; It does not work with a single mirror drive inserted.
Why would I Raid Roam with only one drive? Was hoping to rebuild the mirror from an offsite storage of one of the mirror drives.
I found out that it is possible by
- simply moving both disks to the new enclosure to trigger the Raid Roam,
- take one of the mirror disk and store it away offsite for future recovery.
- rebuild the mirror in the new enclosure
- move both disk of the new mirror back to the old enclosure.
- store the new enclosure along with the single mirror disk as you don’t want to lose the configuration on the EX2.
- take the offsite mirror disk and insert it in the second enclosure
- it will rebuild the mirror from one disk since it is now recognized as a Raid 1 in the enclosure.
However I do appreciate your efforts in answering this post.