I had a similar issue last week. I had my EX4 configured with 2 x 3TB drives in a RAID-1 mirrored volume. I backed everything up and added a 3rd 3TB drive. I went through the wizard to change the RAID mode from RAID-1 to RAID-5 and migrate the data.
After about 5 to 10 minutes, the progress indicator went from 0 to 5%. It didn’t change after an hour, so I created a support ticket with WD. After failing to receive a response from WD support after a day, I called. (After 25 hours, the progress had gone from 5% to 6% and the progress indicator was estimating more than 30 days.) WD support informed me that this was normal, but that the process would not take 30 days. They estimated 3 days. Amazingly, they were right. After 73 hours, the process completed. The next step of resizing the volume from 3 TB to 6TB took another couple of hours.
The information above regarding adjusting the throttling configuration is brilliant. I wish I’d seen it prior to my experience.
Thank you for your excellent advice. That is going to speed things up considerably. Once the sync is complete, do you recommend reducing the speed limit back to the original setting? If yes, what parameter would you use? If no, do you think the higher speed raid syncing will impact user upload/download performance?
Thanks for the assistance.
I’ve got news for you John1000, Recently I whent through the same problem being stuck at the rebuilding status for countless hours and well I kinda got tired of waiting for it and decided to speed things up.
Now I don’t know why WD would cap the Rebuild speed to 1031K/sec but if you wanna speed things up all you have to do is log into your device and type in:
I ve been trying for hours to find a way to enter the text sysctl -w dev.raid.speed_limit_min=100000 as mentioned on the forum but I can’t find the right place to enter it. I noticed that others cannot find it either, even though we checked under users/admin as prompted. There was nothing there to enter any text.
I understand, I was new to all this not too long ago…
You will need to enter these commands via a command line ssh… BUT be very careful because once you are in there, you CAN do damage unless you are very careful as you are going “under the covers” so to speak.
You will need to log into your portal, then go to Settings. Select Network (on the left) and enable SSH. You may also need to set a password.
Once you have done that you can start a terminal session and log into the device itself… on my mac, I connect using Terminal, and then type “ssh @” then hit enter, and it will prompt you for a password.
Once you are logged in you can enter the commands as stated earlier in this post.
Hi folks - I know this is an older thread but I’m having a similar problem with my My Cloud Mirror 8TB though the suggestion above for raising the speed limit didn’t seem to help. In my case it’s running around ~64K/sec (I’ve seen as low as 40K/sec and the highest about 200K/sec). I just posted this thread in the Mirror forum but thought I’d cross-post in hopes that any of you had a suggestion for a way to disable the RAID rebuild process.
No clue why but my WD Mycloud 8TB had a red light on it.
I logged into dashboard and it stated raid was rebuilding.
Why did it start rebuilding? any thoughts?
Anyways, I tried the above mentioned command. It doesn’t seem to be making any impact in the time.
Btw the above mentioned command: sysctl -w dev.raid.speed_limit_min=100000 → I issued via terminal by doing an ssh into the WD drive (ip 10.01.1.7). Is that the correct place to input this command? If I put that IP into safari, the WD dashboard comes up, so i assume i have the correct IP to use in my ssh command.
Dear Tony, thank you for your suggestion. I have added 2 x 4Tb to my EX4100 that already had 2 x 4Tb RAID 1, now I migrated to RAID 5 but it is only at 8% after three days. Would your solution work for me as well?
I used this technique and increased the minimum speed limit to 200000 then to 300000 then to 400000 and back down to 300000 because that limit gave the best performance. It took about 36 hours total to take 3.82TB from JBOD on a single 4TB drive to RAID 5 with 4TB/6TB/6TB.
Ok this is WIERD. I tried
sysctl -w dev.raid.speed_limit_min=100000
I got back invalid argument BUT the darn thing still sped up! The time it was going to take was slowly increasing. I was up to 100 days after about an hour in. That whole hour it stayed at 0.00%. After I entered the command it almost immediately dropped to 1355 minutes and it continues to decrease. It dropped to 1259 minutes well I was typing this post. I don’t know what happened. Perhaps the progress was just wrong. Maybe the setting did something despite the error. I’m just glad I don’t have to restore everything manually because at the rate it was going it was never going to finish.
PS: The NAS was not busy so far as I could tell because resource usage was very low. Just to be safe I turned off all the apps. I also removed mappings from my PC.