RAID 5 Expanding Hard Drive Space

I have a couple of the WD PR4100s. I recently upgraded HDDs from 10TB each to 12TB each and tried to perform the Expand Size option. I first replaced each drive 1 at a time and let the Raid rebuild itself after each replacement. Once complete, I then went to the RAID configuration, selected Change RAID to RAID 5 (it already was, but you have to do this to get to the option to expand the HDD space). I selected Expand size, then NO on creating a New Volume. The process started and continued for a couple of days, showing the expanding progress percentage. Finally after it was over I checked but Windows was still reporting the exact same space as before the drive replacement (27.1 TB). I moved the 10 TB drives to my second PR4100 and went through the exact same process. After completion, though, it still only showed 21.6 TB. What is happening with the drive expansion feature? I have had these units for a few years and have performed the expansion process a few times in the past with no problems. How can I expand my drive space without creating an entirely new RAID configuration and loosing my data?

Disregard. I forgot to move the slider and take up the remaining space after selecting NO for creating a New Volume. I will leave this here so others don’t waste days futilely trying to make this work and missing something as simple as moving the slider. I thought that page was telling me currently how much space was extra, not how much space was not being used for the expansion. Maybe in a future OS release it could be clarified.

I have done the same as you, upgraded from 4TBs to 8TBs, RAID 5, however I still see the old space, despite having moved the slider all the way to the right.

It still tells me my old capacity, and is still in the process of “Verifying RAID parity” (which may take a few more hours). I presume once that is complete it will show the new capacity, if your post is anything to go by?

What was your result? did the drive resize work? How long did it take?

Hi, sorry, I should have updated this thread… it was successful after nearly a day of verifying parity. I think in hindsight it would have been quicker to expand the RAID and adding the drives whenever it asked if I wanted to add them now, as that would have saved me a cycle maybe, but we got there in the end.

1 Like