Raid 5 clone to single drive

Hi and thanks for your input.

I have a computer build a few years back with a raid 5 stripped with parity,   3- wd1600js. I have one drive failing after it warms up.

My question is two fold.

1. Should the system work with one drive inop?

2. Can I clone this raid set to a single bootable drive and elimenate the raid set? and how?

Can I use Acronis to do the job or would I have to go in the boot ini and change the settings for a single drive?

In a RAID 5 of 3 drives, if a drive fails can be replaced and the RAID will be rebuilt.  The best to do in your case is to backup the data and replace the failed drive.

hu_man wrote:

Hi and thanks for your input.

I have a computer build a few years back with a raid 5 stripped with parity,   3- wd1600js. I have one drive failing after it warms up.

My question is two fold.

1. Should the system work with one drive inop?

1. Can I clone this raid set to a single bootable drive and elimenate the raid set? and how?

Can I use Acronis to do the job or would I have to go in the boot ini and change the settings for a single drive?

1- Yes.

2- You can clone the drives if you remove them from the RAID. Careful there since you might end up damaging the configuration.

You can use Acronis or any other software.

He wants to clone filesystem(s) in the array, not break it, so removing the drives from the array is entirely the wrong thing to do.

You should be able to use your favorite disk cloning software provided the new disk is large enough.