RAID 10 Failure (4x WDC WD5001AALS)

Using Following Specs:

Windows 7 Pro x32

Gigabyte P55A-UD3

Intel Core i5 750

4GB DDR3 1333Mhz

ATI Radeon 5770 1GB

4x WD5001AALS in RAID10 off of the Intel Raid Controller (Using IRST 10.6.0.1002)

Issue Encountering:

Successfully Installed Windows 7, on RAID 10 using Intel RAID Configuration utility. Installed most-up-to-date drivers for Motherboard. But RAID will degrade out of nowhere. Have replaced defective drive, and motherboard was sent in for RMA.

But no matter what RAID10 Port 3 will FAIL, and I will have to mark as normal and then rebuild. It then rebuilds successfully. it will run fine for awhile, and the same Port will fail. I have switche dthe ports, leaving port 3 out of the raid completely. Same issue, different drive. Replaced that drive, same issue.

Have read the WD doesn’t “recommend” RAID 10 with these desktop drives do to speed of drives? is this true? Does anyone have any tips, or suggestions that they feel might help remedy this issue?

no, it’s not the speed of the drive, it’s whatever tendency it may have to do error checking and recovery.  a true raid drive limits how much time the system can do error recovery on a drive.  wd calls it tler (time limited error recovery).  their raid edition drives have it, but the caviar blacks don’t.  that’s why they only recommend using them in a raid 0 or raid 1 setup.

1 Like

Thank you for your response sir. So I am going out on a limb here, and guessing this “fail” is a false positive due to the TIER command not being native on WD5001AALS Hard Drives. So my best option is to invest in in TIER Enabled RAID Hard Drives.

But as far as you know there is no fix for the issue I am currently experiencing?

What drives would you recommend for a RAID10 setup?

fsnyder24 wrote:

RE4

1 Like

fsnyder24 wrote:

Thank you for your response sir. So I am going out on a limb here, and guessing this “fail” is a false positive due to the TIER command not being native on WD5001AALS Hard Drives. So my best option is to invest in in TIER Enabled RAID Hard Drives.

But as far as you know there is no fix for the issue I am currently experiencing?

that could be true.  if a drive goes into error checking for longer than 7 seconds, then, yes, it could fail the in the raid configuration and not be a bad drive.  the best thing to do is to run the dlg diagnostics and see if the drive passes.  if it does, then it’sjust not going to work in the raid configuration you’re running. 

If that’s the case, then Pizza’s right, RE4’s are the raid drives you need.