RAID 1 & Raid 0 on same EX2 Ultra

With two 6 TB drives in my new EX2 Ultra system, I was able to set up 4TB as RAID 1 Volume 1 for safety. The remaining disk space I set up as RAID 0 Volume 2 which then also holds 4 TB for speed. Will this config cause any problems. Does anyone know a method to mirror Volume 1 onto Volume 2 to get both speed and safety? If this is a dangerous setup, should I convert Volume 2 to a 2 TB RAID 1 (I’ve stored nothing on this volume yet). Thanks for any feedback.

Just a note" My OS5 system is only 2 weeks old. After the auto update of my firmware last Thursday, the Disk 1 status light turned red. The interface indicated the RAID was good, but storage indicated Disk 1 was bad. I ran a complete disk check. The disk check listed Disk 1 is good. I suspected that the update had not restarted the system. I restarted the system. Voila: the red status light turned blue; the system reported the RAID as good; and storage reported both drives as good. If you’ve had a recent firmware update and get an error, you might try rebooting the system before running all the diagnostics.

The only you gain is 2TB of storage but that 4TB of data will not be protect. Speed wise will not be different if you not write/read data all the time. If you setup that 6TB is RAID 1, your data will be protect if one HDD fail. RAID 0 is best if you do like caching live streaming video or editing video. Hope that help a little.

1 Like

A Raid 1 NAS is not a fool proof backup solution.

It is vulnerable to common mode problems such as ransomware; usererror; fire.

I personally am not a fan of Raid 0 for speed. . . lose one drive; and ALL the data on the Raid 0 is gone. And you are still limited by the network speed.

If anything, I would setup Volume 1 as a 4TB raid, with Volume 2 as 2 TB JBOD and Volume 3 as 2TB JBOD.

1 Like