RAID 1 for Off-Site

I am considering a WD My Cloud EX2 (or EX4) configured for RAID 1 (mirror) to accommodate off-site safety of a drive or two.  I have never used RAID, be gentile please.

With the mirror configuration and I remove one drive from the EX2 and replace it with another drive will the EX2 automatically update the inserted drive to match the drive left in the EX2 to bring the inserted drive to be current?  I hope I explained this correctly.

What I want to do is (with a mirror RAID) is periodically, say weekly or monthly swap out one drive and store it off-site.  Cycle through drives (however many I get).  My concern is when I put a different drive in the EX2 how does the device know to update the newly inserted drive to be current with the one left in?  Does this make sense or is there a different process to I should consider to accommodate off-site storage of drives.

Thanks

Hi,

wagb278 wrote:

I am considering a WD My Cloud EX2 (or EX4) configured for RAID 1 (mirror) to accommodate off-site safety of a drive or two.  I have never used RAID, be gentile please.

With the mirror configuration and I remove one drive from the EX2 and replace it with another drive will the EX2 automatically update the inserted drive to match the drive left in the EX2 to bring the inserted drive to be current?  I hope I explained this correctly.

What I want to do is (with a mirror RAID) is periodically, say weekly or monthly swap out one drive and store it off-site.  Cycle through drives (however many I get).  My concern is when I put a different drive in the EX2 how does the device know to update the newly inserted drive to be current with the one left in?  Does this make sense or is there a different process to I should consider to accommodate off-site storage of drives.

Thanks

Yes, the unit will automatically rebuilt the RAID and the information will be mirrored.

Please see the following link for the user manual of the unit 

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705113.pdf